Oven Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise in advance as i know this question has been asked numerous times but i cannot find an answer that answers my specific questions.

I am replacing my gas oven with an electric one 3.4kWh. I was planning to simply put a plug on it (there is an outlet which was used for the old ovens ignition) My question is would a 13amp plug surfice and what specification heatproof cable will i need?

Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not really. If it doesn't have fancy cleaning cycles, you might get away with it. It really ought to be on a cooker circuit.

Do you have an electric cooker control unit?

No only a power outlet next to it. Could i replace that with the cooker control unit?

3.4kw @240v is a tad over 14 amps.

You will need a direct dircuit, a radial in 2.5mm might do (depending on distance to fuse board, and how the cable is run).

Better to use a 4mm or even a 6mm and then if you ever change the over or add an electric hob you have added in a future proofing.

Sponsored Links
Read your oven instructions carefully! They usually have a TOTAL rating of about 3.4 but when you read the manual the oven is say 2.2 and grill 1.2 BUT you can't USUALLY have both oven and grill on at the same time. If they can be on at the same time, as said above a dedicated radial required.

What make and model oven?
3.4kWh is an energy consumption, it isn't the same as the kW electrical rating required to calculate the required circuit size for the oven.

Thankyou very much for the replies its much appreciated!

The Spec for the oven is
Input voltage - 230 v - 50hz
Output rating - max 3400w

It is a samsung oven - SAMSUNG PKG005G/XEU

The instructions say " If the appliance is not connected to the mains with a plug a multi pole isolator switch must be used- The power cable H05 RR-F or H05 VV-F min. 1.5m 1.5-2.5mm2. must be sufficent length. " Suggesting i plug can be used however dont like to mess with electrics if unsure!
What Cable would you reccommend?

you may find that the socket that the old one was plugged into, is a dedicated radial circuit anyway from the consumer unit, thus satisfying the regulations. As others have said, the max rating is only theoretical. Unless its a double oven you will be unable to operate grill AND oven at same time. If you further apply diversity to the appliance you will probably find the 13 amp plug top is fine. If the cooker has come with flex fitted to it, even better.

Even if it is a double oven, if you pre-heat the oven before using the grill, you'll be unlikely to blow a 13 A plug fuse. An electrician couldn't connect an oven to a general purpose socket circuit, so please consider having it wired 'properly'. As mentioned above, it might be that the socket is correctly on a dedicated circuit. Any electric cooking appliance should have an accessible isolator switch within 2 m.

There are 4 fuses in the consumer unit none(removable ones) none labeled. 2 x 5amp 2x 30amp I know the 5amps control the upstairs / downstairs lights, so i assume the other 2 are for the electrics upstairs/ downstairs? Does this sound right.

The 5 A fuses are normally for downstairs and upstairs lighting. One 30 A fuse is probably for sockets. The other 30 A fuse could be for sockets, electric shower or cooker.

You've prob got an old cooker connection unit stuck behind a cupboard somewhere...!

Ive looked all over for something obvious but cant see one! The plug socket im talking about is in a cupboard next to the old oven. How would i tell if one of the fuses is for the oven? Turn the power off, take a 30 amp fuse out, turn it back on and see whats not got power?

Just out of interest is there a website or list of registered electricians in your area like gas safe has for gas fitters? I have lots of electrical work id like doing but dont know wheres best to find a reputable electrician.

Ive looked all over for something obvious but cant see one! The plug socket im talking about is in a cupboard next to the old oven. How would i tell if one of the fuses is for the oven? Turn the power off, take a 30 amp fuse out, turn it back on and see whats not got power?

Just out of interest is there a website or list of registered electricians in your area like gas safe has for gas fitters? I have lots of electrical work id like doing but dont know wheres best to find a reputable electrician.

Yup,

Someone could of removed the cooker connection and replaced it with a socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back