Over bath shower design options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This set-up has caused a lot of damage to the floor due to the way the shower has been used. When the curtain is wrapped all the way around the bath, it gets in the way of the tap controls and so the shower is used without the curtain in the right place and water splashes onto the floor at the tap end of the bath.

What are the best design options for this case? I thought I could get a bath screen for the tap end of the bath but the only one I can find that is 685 mm wide (the width of the bath) is just 1300 mm high which seems very short and so water will just spray over the top. And in fact all bath screens seem to be only 1400 mm, which seems way too short to me. I think my best option it to fit a bar mixer in the tiled wall? That way I can keep this nice and high curtain.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_113854.jpg
    IMG_20230426_113854.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there a perpendicular wall to the left of the basin where the door is?? If so then swap the basin and bath positions. Put the bath up the other end where you then have a wall to mount a proper bath mounted shower screen. Either that or lose the bath and put in tray.

A shower on the bath as it currently sits will never be right and will probably always cause problems. I've never seen one like that work properly long term if the shower is used regularly.

Thanks, Madrab. Actually, there's a toilet to the left of the basin (as viewed from the angle the picture was taken from), and then there's a perpendicular wall which forms the end of the room (and has the doorway). I don't know if there's anything plumbing wise that would prevent me from moving the toilet.

My other idea was to put a bar mixer on the tiled wall, and then use a fixed 400mm wide wet room glass panel for the tricky corner area of the bath and also keep the shower curtain as well. The thinking being that 400mm is enough to compensate for when the shower curtain is not pulled right into the corner.

Edit: I'll need to check but it might not be possible to move the bath to the corner due to the door.

Attachments

• floorplan bog (1).png
    floorplan bog (1).png
    49.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
1300 plus depth of the bath (500 ish at the tap end) would give 1800 which will catch the worst of it, especially if you put a return screen on as well (so you have an L shape at the tap end)- this is putting your screens on top of the bath rather than on the floor. Understandable design (loll in the bath with your head as far away from the loo as possible) but the curtain was never going to cut it.

Sponsored Links
The ultimate folly here is not having a wall at the head of the bath. The what width do you have on the wall with the door in it? That will be the deciding factor. Looking at the width of the bath and space to the right, unless the door is in the middle of the wall then you may find you have just enough width. Very similar narrow bathroom to a lot of Glasgow tenement flats.

The other alternative is one we did years ago with the same scenario, we got that one to work by building a glass brick wall at the head of the bath.

I'll check the measurements of the wall with the door to see if the bath can be moved to that wall. And I hope moving the waste for the toilet to a new location is possible.

With a glass brick wall, how do you secure it so it can't be pushed over? Wall ties in the mortar bed?

Last edited:
I bought glass panels from B&Q years ago when I also installed a bath designed to have a shower over it with the tap end being wider, it looked good and seemed to work, however we started to get a load of mould, it was not until latter after leaving the house I realised this was due to chimney effect, having a gap both top and bottom of the shower door means thermals cause the water vapour to circulate around the room making whole room damp, not just inside the shower cubical, and to get the glass panels to match the size of the bath they were bought as a set.

Today I use stand alone showers, they are not combined with the bath.

I'll check the measurements of the wall with the door to see if the bath can be moved to that wall. And I hope moving the waste for the toilet to a new location is possible.

With a glass brick wall, how do you secure it so it can't be pushed over? Wall ties in the mortar bed?
If you're lucky you will have 700mm between the corner and the door frame, don't worry about the door facing/trim as that can be cut back.

The glass bricks were floor to ceiling and rods/ties were incorporated with an outside edge frame but there are other ways these days, bespoke frames etc. Have a dig about on the NET for ideas

Looks like there would be just enough room to move the bath to the back wall.

The redesign would make the entrance feel a bit restricted as the (narrow) door would only open to around 90 degrees (and the radiator would need to be moved).

Attachments

• bathroom floorplan with dimensions.png
    bathroom floorplan with dimensions.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 43
Looks like there would be just enough room to move the bath to the back wall.

The redesign would make the entrance feel a bit restricted as the (narrow) door would only open to around 90 degrees (and the radiator would need to be moved).
Yes .... though there are countless bathrooms designed exactly like that and it takes care of the whole issue surrounding the bath shower and allows for a proper screen mounting and making it all watertight

If you want to keep the bath that is, any other solution unless you construct a wall at the head of the bath (i.e. glass wall) will always cause problems with a shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back