overboard asbestos soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Has anybody any advice on overboarding soffits please?

My gut reaction would be to rip out and replace but the soffits are asbestos and sound as a bell just the usual flaking paint that I really don't want to stand under while I clean it off. Call me chicken if you want but I lost a workmate to mesothelioma a while back, too late for me to worry, but I don't want to spread it around any more than i need to!

Having seen the "care" replacement soffit companies take I frankly don't trust 'em whatever they say they will do :rolleyes:
I would rather overboard it myself!

How would you fix and what sort of product would you use, I guess there must be stickers you can buy to fix to the plastic to warn anyone thinking of drilling the plastic what's underneath.

Thanks for any advice.

footprints

Sponsored Links
Working on this cement board outside is very low risk for anything except sanding.

Soffits would normally be held by the fascia at one edge, and then a U channel at the other stuck to the wall and/or soffit with external grade 'no nails' adhesive

You don't want labels plastered about the house, so just mention it to workers or any new buyer. Contractors should always be wary when working in the area in any case.

Drill and wallplug a lath to the back wall, screw starter trim to lath and soffit slots into trim. You can either cut some more lath to screw to the underside of the fascia to level it out perfect or let the soffit hang down a bit until you install the slightly deeper fascia which will lift it straight again.. Check window clearance first.

Thank you both for you help.
Mw Roofline the soffits are quite wide about 18" I would say.
Will that be a problem with bowing on the plastic? There are battens joining the sheets about 4 feet apart I could fix into with screws and pop top covers,
I don't think hammering the plastic headed pins in will be ideal as i want to minimise dust etc.

footprints

Sponsored Links
There are signs for 'warning asbestos' available online and at any propriety sign distributor.
To overboard soffit's and fascia boards, its best to apply these first with thick double sided adhesive tape, then fixed with permanent fixings.
If buying plastic fascia etc. buy the matching self drill plastic capped screws, at the same time - View media item 59376 - these are normally hex headed and are driven in with a socket bit in the cordless drill. Done this way any asbestos is trapped in the adhesive safely. Remember to leave clear any ventilation slots in the soffit, thereby retaining any positive loft ventilation should it be preseant...pinenot :)

Drilling/self drilling AIB boards should only be done in the presence of a class H vacuum.

Unless it's less than 5 holes if I recall correctly but could be wrong.

Hi Pinenot, how do I find those screws? They look like they might have all sorts of uses, tried an image search for plastic capped screws, but no luck.

teabreak

Thank you pinenot, the Polytops look very neat.

Regards,
footprints

One extra question which is best for this sort of work hollow or solid cladding I see both types advertised?

Thanks,
footprints

For me solid, which is a hard foam core enveloped in PVC, cut with a hand saw and c/w joining strip covers, corner pieces etc....pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back