Overboarding Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a bit of a mess of a nearly straight 1940's ceiling, textured paint, cracks and repairs. Im also insulating the sloping skeling portion, so have decided I might as well overboard the lot before getting in skimmed.

Only ever done the one skeling in the other room, where the pb on the rest of the roof was good enough not to overboard but any suggestions welcome.

Presumably I just mark where the joists are, and then measure and cut the boards as you would usually? (ive watched a youtube video of that...) and try to avoid the joints falling in the same place, and try to get most of the screws into the wood! Using a drywall screw bit if I can get one for saturday.

Im also going to throw a sheet of polythene vapour barrier up between the two, by stapling it to the old ceiling before putting up the new boards in the aim of reducing condensation on the bottom of my attic floorboards.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Insulation has no effect on condensation, you need ventilation, may also leave the ceiling uneven.

Sponsored Links
Insulation has no effect on condensation, you need ventilation, may also leave the ceiling uneven.
Yeah, I'm slightly worried that the new boards will not end up straight and once plastered smooth will still look a bit naff. Its slsightly hard to see with all the cracks etc but I'll get some 2x1 and try and gauge how far off flat the current ceiling is and if its miles of, consider taking the lot down. The joists are certainly flat when you put length of floorboard against them.

I realise that ventilation is required as part of controlling condensation in the rooms. Mainly the reason for the work is to repair the ceiling, secondly to add insulation to the sloping section to reduce heat lost, partly as a way of reducing the condensation on the attic boards, and a decent slice of it for my own amusement/learning to see what works and how much work it is on a house that I dont intended to own forever, aka, a bit of a test piece!

We shall see!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back