Should I tape an old ceiling before overboarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've removed the old textured paint and skim coat plaster from my ceiling leaving me with the original plasterboards underneath. They are a little damaged so I will be overboarding them for ease - dont want to take them down due to the mess and hassle.

I know with then new boards that I should stagger them differently to the originals so the joins aren't in the same place.

However, when I was removing the old plaster, I had to remove the old style hessian joint tape along the original joins too. So now I can fit a small screwdriver tip through the gaps where the hessian tape would have previously been.

Should I use 'scrim tape' on the joins of the original boards underneath before I overboard it? I thought that doing this would help strengthen the original ceiling first before I overboard with the new to help reduce the chance of cracks in future. When overboarding i'll be using screws and then getting a plasterer in to do the rest.

Or do I not need to bother?

Also, I made an 8" hole in the original ceiling when I stripped it back (someone had lights there previously and filled the hole with filla which all came down when I was chipping away) - I wasn't going to bother doing anything with this as the new boards will cover it......right?

Sponsored Links
no need to retape the old ceiling, save your tapes for the new one! :D

the hole in the ceiling wont make any difference either.

indeed AR!

tape is to reinforce the joints in the board so that it reduces the likelihood of cracks appearing in the new plaster.

P.S. that was for the OP AR, not you! :LOL:

So it wouldn't offer any extra benefit whatsoever....?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
any improvement would be negligible.
The strength from scrim tape (or hessian - r/c ;) ) mostly comes into play when it is set in plaster. The self-adhesive stuff has an amount of adhesive to keep it in place really before the plaster goes on over the top.

Plaster performs badly under tension, so the scrim provides some tensile strength which is very important at the board joins.

As an analogy, It's a bit like a mini version of concrete with reinforcement from steel!

any improvement would be negligible.
The strength from scrim tape (or hessian - r/c ;) ) mostly comes into play when it is set in plaster. The self-adhesive stuff has an amount of adhesive to keep it in place really before the plaster goes on over the top.

Plaster performs badly under tension, so the scrim provides some tensile strength which is very important at the board joins.

As an analogy, It's a bit like a mini version of concrete with reinforcement from steel!

Have you thoroughly read the o.p.?

Have you thoroughly read the o.p.?

I think so.
O.p. says they are debating whether to scrim the original boards underneath before overboarding.
I was pointing out a technical reason why it won't help using scrim tape on its own with the old boards, before overboarding with new.

I think I am saying the same as yourself, Alastair and TrowelMonkey1.

Thanks for the welcome, Alastair
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back