Overflow from F&E and other problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Potterton Profile 60e boiler fitted in 2003. It has always been a bit noisy. Had a new bathroom fitted in 2005. Bathroom radiator that used to act as a bypass no longer does so but am sure the pipes were only rerouted for new ladder radiator and not changed at all. Had periodic spurting from overflow - dont know if since new boiler or new bathroom. Had cylinder replaced 2 months ago. Bizarrely overflow was not dripping but plumber suspected split coil in cylinder and for the 2 weeks after his diagnosis and replacement of cylinder the overflow started dripping!?

Not had hot water on since replacement cylinder as weather warm. Put CH on after bath yesterday morning and when turned it off after a few minutes there was a great deal of banging and shaking and the overflow spewed water out at an alarming rate.

Tried to reconstruct the situation. Found that when CH put on the pipe going into the cylinder coil went cold. When CH turned off this pipe started to warm up and then after about 2-3 mins there was the almighty noise again and both the expansion pipe from the boiler and the pipe returning back from the F&E I guess were boiling and water spurted out of the overflow.

I am assuming that the coil in the new cylinder is okay. It is odd that when the CH was turned on the water going into the cylinder went cold - as though the water was being redirect to the radiators. I dont think that we have ever had a problem of having no hot water when the CH is on.

We have had one new radiator in the hall about 6 months ago and had all of the rads drained through about a year ago.

Plumber is coming tomorrow but he doesnt seem to have any idea as to the problem.

Oh, and the boiler makes sort of pinking npises all the time it is firing - a bit different to kettling. I had put boiler silencer in a couple of times a while ago as we always seem to have this kettling problem.

Has anyone any ideas at all?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
could be a bypass issue if you have two 2 port valves then some form of bypass will be required does your towel rail still get hot with the hot water? If it is overheating once the valves have been turned off ie no demand for heating or hot water then the water is being pumped with no where to go and disipate heat so is going out the overflow. I would sugest that either when bathroom was fitted they re piped disregarding the bypass or plumber has left a valve turned off since fitting cylinder, or you have an issue with the bypass rad towel rails are very common of holding alot of air

The new towel radiator does not get hot with hot water only but it does heat up very quickly when the CH is on. The chap who fitted the bathroom says that he did not change the pipes - there really wouldnt have been any reason to do so as he just had to move the pipes a bit from coming under the floor to coming out of the wall. It is odd though that it doesnt get hot anymore. It doesnt seem to have air in it as it is uniformly hot.

Plumber is coming tomorow - what sort of valve might he have left turned off?

He is going to fit another towel radiator to the hot water system so this should act as a bypass.

I was thinking that the diverter valve might be involved???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back