OVERFLOW LEAKING AND RADIATORS MAKING SO MUCH NOISE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We normally have our central heating system serviced annually as part of our central heating insurance.

At the end of November we noticed we didn’t have any hot water. We called the heating engineers and they came and changed our heating control/timer (which tells the boiler when to come on or off) as it was very old. A few days later we still had no hot water and this time when they came back they said it was the valve and then changed it but they noticed that the pipe work is incorrectly piped to the 3 port valve.(not sure what this means).

We were told we need to re-pipe which will be done in January at our annual service for a fee as this is not covered by our insurance. The hot water was now working and everything seemed okay although our radiators were now so noisy that you can hear the water filling the pipes, tanks and radiators when the central heating came on and similarly hear it when it drains the radiators when it goes off.It was never this noisy before..

Unfortunately we went away on holiday for a few weeks. On our return, our neighbour told us that our overflow had been leaking for sometime. It leaks constantly and when my husband went to the loft he could not see anything. We tried various things and found that it only stopped leaking when the boiler is not on. The heating engineers are not coming until the 13th Jan.

Questions:
• Is it dangerous to leave the heating on until the engineer’s visit in a few weeks? The house is freezing cold and we don’t know what the damage would be if we still leave the central heating on. Can it create any lasting damage to the floor boards, ceiling, loft etc
• Is this an expensive problem to fix
• I think this sudden leakage has something to do with the new 3 port valve fitted because the new 3port was fitted to our pipe work which is incorrectly piped to the 3 port valve (as noted on our engineer notes, though not sure what this means).

Any advice on what could be the problem would be greatly appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
can you post a pic of the pipes around your boiler, cylinder, the small Feed and Expansion tank in the loft, and especially, the pump.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

If you have two tanks i the loft, which is overflowing - the large one or the small one?

does water gush out of the Vent pipe which is bent over the top of the tank?

does the overflow happen when the cylinder is being heated, or only when the radiators are being heated?

Are all the radiators hot all over (top, middle and bottom)?

Have you bled your radiators, and what colour is the water that comes out?

Does water squirt forcefully from the highest radiator in the house when you bleed it?

Does it make any difference if you turn the pump to Low Speed (1)

Does the overflow stop, or get worse, when you run a bath?

Q:If you have two tanks I the loft, which is overflowing - the large one or the small one?
A:Will check this one out later

Q;Does water gush out of the Vent pipe which is bent over the top of the tank?
A:Not sure.Will check later

Q:Does the overflow happen when the cylinder is being heated, or only when the radiators are being heated?
A:Overflow seems to happen when the radiators are being heated. The cylinder I am not too sure

Q:Are all the radiators hot all over (top, middle and bottom)?
A:The radiators are hot all over except one which is lukewarm. This has always been the case though.

Q:Have you bled your radiators, and what colour is the water that comes out?
A:Dirty water. Like brownish

Q:Does water squirt forcefully from the highest radiator in the house when you bleed it?
A:Yes but only for the lukewarm radiator

Q:Does it make any difference if you turn the pump to Low Speed (1)
A:haven’t tried this

Q:Does the overflow stop, or get worse, when you run a bath?
A:Overflow stops completely when we run a bath or turn off boiler but starts again when the boiler is turned on

..Still struggling to upload picture.

Thanks u for your swift response

what do you mean when you say:

Q:Does water squirt forcefully from the highest radiator in the house when you bleed it?
A:Yes but only for the lukewarm radiator

apart from that we need the other answers.

Sponsored Links
....All the other radiators just lets out water gradually when bleeped but the warm radiator (One of the radiators in the house has never been completely hot. it has always been like that. it's only ever warm but not hot hot) had water forced out when we bleeped it.... :D

well if you are telling me that water squirts out forcefully from the highest radiator in the house (which was my question) then the system is probably not short of water. I hope it does this even if the boiler is not running?

If it dribbles feebly out of all the others you might have sludge blockages, possibly in the bleed screw, but we have insufficient information so far.

DSC00805-1.jpg

wider view please

to show the layout of the pipes

Just found out now that out of 6 radiators, 3 are not hot all around. 3 are very hot but the other 3 are warm only at the bottom of the radiator, not the top..It all seems very strange. it may have been like that for sometime but we've never noticed it until you asked me to check it.... :(

OK, thanks, I see them all now

on http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/OFATOBS/?start=all

what I'm looking for, is two pipes that run down from the small F&E tank in the loft, and join onto the large pipes.

One of the pipes that comes down will be about half an inch, and the other about three-quarters of an inch. They would probably be quite close to the pump. They may be cooler than the other pipes.

Have you looked in the loft yet to see which tank is overflowing?

Just found out now that out of 6 radiators, 3 are not hot all around. 3 are very hot but the other 3 are warm only at the bottom of the radiator, not the top..It all seems very strange. it may have been like that for sometime but we've never noticed it until you asked me to check it.... :(

the radiators that are hot only at the bottom are full of air. they need bleeding ** turn the boiler off first **.

are these at the top of the house? does water squirt out when you bleed them? the highest radiators are important to identifying the problem.

p.s. I suggest you save your pictures at a smaller resolution. No need to show any more as I attached the link to your album.

...Thank u so much for your response. I am too frightened to go into the loft on my own so I am just waiting for my husband to come back from work and we'll take the picture and upload asap. 3 of the radiators I just tested are no longer very hot all round but just warm at the bottom only. Does this mean anything?

We only have 6 radiators in the house. I remember my husband telling me that one of the radiators was very cold but this was on the day we returned from holiday so I just assumed it was because it needed time to warm up. If only we knew then we could have contacted the heating engineers much sooner so that we won't have to spend the New Year in a freezing cold apartment.

This is my first time on this site and I have learnt so much. I now know how to upload using photobucket.com (even if it took me the whole day!) I now know how to bleed a radiator.

I can't believe that People have gone out of their way to share their expertise. It has been a very humbling experience so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back