Overloaded circuit - trips RCD

I imagine neither. Since we're talking about something which trips only when the cooker (and other things) is on, I would imagine that the B32 labelled 'Cooker' would be a good bet - and that is, indeed, the 3rd 'switch lever' from the right (at least, by one way of counting :) ).

That would depend on ones interpretation of a switch, as we have a double pole isolator that the OP may consider to be two switches.

But is it really that hard to say it is the switch labelled cooker?

Or could it be that the switch that is tripping is not labelled ???

Sponsored Links
That would depend on ones interpretation of a switch, as we have a double pole isolator that the OP may consider to be two switches.
Indeed - that's why I said "by one way of counting"!
But is it really that hard to say it is the switch labelled cooker? Or could it be that the switch that is tripping is not labelled ???
I agree that the OP could have made life easier (and more certain) for us, but I frankly don't think that there is much doubt that we are probably talking about the MCB labelled 'Cooker'!

Kind Regards, John

I frankly don't think that there is much doubt that we are probably talking about the MCB labelled 'Cooker'!
So there is not much doubt that the plasma TV is on the cooker circuit? and the topic is headed with RCD trips (even though the OP does not know what these devices are).

I frankly have doubts, until the OP can clarify. If the OP is having trouble explaining which device trips? Maybe a photo of the device in question, in the open/off/tripped position would help!

Sponsored Links
Here is the photo. It's the switch 3rd from the right.

Go on tell us which circuit it is? 3rd switch from right could mean a number of things, depending on what your interpretation of a switch is?

Next to 'Test' button, on its right.

Is 32A MCB marked F/F (I assume that is first floor and not fridge freezer?)
or possibly the one with the yellow test button?

I read that as the third lever from the right where the first two are linked so very likely it is the RCD that is tripping.

it could be that several appliances have small earth leakages that when added together are enough to trip the RCD,

But it also possible that the actual fault is a Neutral to Earth fault on a different circuit and some of the load current in the Neutral bar is going via that fault and by passing the sensor in the RCD creating imbalance enough to trip the RCD.

That's the one marked cooker yes?

No, the 3rd switch from the right. Next to 'cooker' on the right, without any label.
screenshot_390.jpg

Ok so the device thats tripping indicates some current is leaking to earth. This can either be due to a fault, or because some devices naturally leak a small amount and these small amounts are adding up to a high enough level to trip the RCD.

Are ALL the socket circuits on that one RCD?

Looking at your pic, there is "FF" which i'm guessing is upstairs sockets, GF which is downstairs sockets, "kitchen" which is presumably kitchen sockets all on that one RCD, as well as your shed?

It shouldnt really be setup like that, as it presumably also means ALL of your lighting is on the other side.

I'd get the board reconfigured such that ground floor sockets (and kitchen) is on one side with the upstairs lighting, and the upstairs sockets and downstairs lighting is on the other side perhaps with the shed.

You might find if you spread it out like that the problem will simply go away, as the small amounts of leakage are no longer building up on one RCD.

Just noticed there is a shed fed from the consumer unit.

Damp related earth leakage in the shed could be the culprit. Even if the MCB for the shed is turned OFF the Neutral to Earth leakage can, when there is a heavy load elsewhere, be enough to trip the RCD.

Ok so the device thats tripping indicates some current is leaking to earth. This can either be due to a fault, or because some devices naturally leak a small amount and these small amounts are adding up to a high enough level to trip the RCD.

Are ALL the socket circuits on that one RCD?

Looking at your pic, there is "FF" which i'm guessing is upstairs sockets, GF which is downstairs sockets, "kitchen" which is presumably kitchen sockets all on that one RCD, as well as your shed?

It shouldnt really be setup like that, as it presumably also means ALL of your lighting is on the other side.

I'd get the board reconfigured such that ground floor sockets (and kitchen) is on one side with the upstairs lighting, and the upstairs sockets and downstairs lighting is on the other side perhaps with the shed.

You might find if you spread it out like that the problem will simply go away, as the small amounts of leakage are no longer building up on one RCD.

Yes I think all the sockets are on this RCD.

How much will it cost to reconfigure?

Finding an earth fault is not easy.

Options are either do some changes inside consumer unit so you can see if the fault moves to other RCD but the BG is not an easy consumer unit to work in with buzz bars needing removing to swap MCB's or which seems far more sensible swapping items external to consumer unit.

In an idea world it would be arranged for easy swap but I know yesterday working on my daughters house although really cooker socket and ring should not be on the same RCD it was a lot of work to change them around so it was not done.

Easy method is replace the 5 MCB's and RCD for 5 RCBO's and Isolator but that's over a £100 in materials. However calling out an electrician will also cost so getting RCBO's may be in the long run the easy way out.

An electrician with his test gear could come and test all your equipment on that RCD and identify the faulty item but that will also cost and 6 months down the line you may have same problem again.

I also have two RCD's only but split in a way where if I suspect something I can easy swap the RCD that it's powered from so can isolate the fault.

How much an electrician would charge to swap MCB's for RCBO's I don't know but until you do that any faults are always going to be hard to isolate as to cause.

I frankly don't think that there is much doubt that we are probably talking about the MCB labelled 'Cooker'!
So there is not much doubt that the plasma TV is on the cooker circuit? and the topic is headed with RCD trips (even though the OP does not know what these devices are). I frankly have doubts, until the OP can clarify.
It seems you were right, and I was wrong :oops:

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back