Overloaded Circut - How To Change MCB

Maybe he needs the increase in breaker capacity for the 20 downlights and the security light he fitted :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Maybe he needs the increase in breaker capacity for the 20 downlights and the security light he fitted :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course not, he would have worked out if the circuit was capable before adding all the lights, just like the electrician that was going to charge him so much money for the install would have!

Maybe he does. But will he then also change all the items on the ciruit to ones that are rated at 10 amps ?

It's not the items on the circuit that need to be rated at 10A, it's the actual circuit itself.

Sponsored Links
I immediately think of accessories such as light switches and lampholders.

Many are 10A rated, but some, especially SBC and SES, are not. Some people even use 6A JBs <vom>

Arguably switches don't need to be unless the circuit loops there, as no switch will see 6A, let alone 10.

But the rest of the bits do.

He, he, he- it gives me a warm feeling to have the op struggling with a simple task.

Serves you right for showboating on the 20 lamps, 5 minutes to instal thread. You went out of your way to lambaste my trade, came across as holier than thou, and now your back asking for help.

Since I have no interest in your safety...

Isolate cu at main isolator, And at the cu. it's is NOT acceptable to just throw the cu isolation switch.

Check for dead or be dead

Undo all mcb's on the same buzz bar via the lower screws at the switch and at all mcb's.

The buzz bar should now drop out.

Undo the live wire on the mcb being changed

Slip tag at rear of mcb to unclip from the mounting rail

Remove mcb, then work in reverse to replace buzz bar and recommission.

Please check where you nearest major burns unit is before starting work, and send the wife and kids to the inlaws so they are safe.

What's that expression about trolls and not feeding them?

For gawd's sake - ignore this tw4t and maybe he'll stopping littering the forum with his nonsense.

There should really be a "Troll Deletion Feature" added to this forum! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Undo all mcb's on the same buzz bar via the lower screws at the switch and at all mcb's.
The buzz bar should now drop out
Unless it's a unit with a fixed busbar.
Or the bar is at the top of the breakers with the wiring at the bottom.
Or one of those plug in efforts
Or various other possibilities.

Do you have a make or photo of the board preferably with the lid still on, for your safety.
It may turn out to be an obsolete board that you cannot still get mcb's for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back