Oversized boiler - is it a problem?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the OP is a private householder, I would stick with the boiler you've got.The gas line needs to be the correct size for maximum output, for all the reasons given. Get weather compensation from Vaillant - if they have a built-in one to suit.

Sponsored Links
me and micky have real world experience, not just reading a manual online.

D Hailsham is an armchair "expert" who has never even done the job. :LOL: Much like a backseat driver who offers driving advice but doesn't have a license or own a car. :rolleyes:

(me) I and micky have real world experience, not just reading a manual online.
I would rather trust the advice of the manufacturer than the "experience" of an installer, who probably thinks he doesn't need to refer to an installation manual.

If your evidence was so strong, you would provide it.

Firstly, it should be "Micky and I"

In many situations it has been well proven that manufacturers sometimes get it wrong when they write their instructions.

In some cases they issue updates to their own engineers ( but rarely to independent engineers ) but in others the engineers are just left to learn for themselves the best way to set up the equipment for the optimum operation.

Virtually all makers of older boilers supplied them with them set to the maximum range rated output. Had they set them to minimum it would have forced installers to learn how to increase the power.

Tony

(me) I and micky have real world experience, not just reading a manual online.
I would rather trust the advice of the manufacturer than the "experience" of an installer, who probably thinks he doesn't need to refer to an installation manual.

If your evidence was so strong, you would provide it.

Once again you think you know better. :rolleyes: I know these boilers inside out, am factory trained and know much more than is written in the manual because I have fixed thousands of them. You are just capable of googling and reading; well done. Not all manuals are correct and not everything you read on the internet is true, some people have the intelligence to see this, clearly you don't. You remind me of bigburner/water systems/george bramwell etc etc. Why do you continue to masquerade as an expert when you clearly know fek all?

Stick to your whole house calculator you stupid old man. :LOL:

Someone else might change the "permanent" downrating of the boiler in the future, and if the gas pipe bore isn't sufficient , there could be hazards caused in the boiler or other gas appliances while the boiler is running.

Your reprimand is noted.

Firstly is there any regulation that states the boiler can’t be oversized?
No regulation.

Secondly do you think it will make much difference considering the boiler will modulate down to about 10kW or so and act like a smaller boiler anyway?
Not really.

is it worth me selling this one and buying a lower powered one
No

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back