Oxy-acetylene kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of lead slates to be made for a job coming up. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or uses one of these portable welders or similar.

http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=198

Its only ever going to be used for the occasional lead work so I don't want to be spending too much. I'm wondering if the cost of replacement bottles (~£20 each) is going to make it not very cost effective.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a similar set that I use when can't be bothered to lug our porta set about. They do a good job but bottles aren't cheap.

I've seen a sort of nozzle which can be used with MAPP gas which i was interested in some while back. I do minimal lead work so would be ideal for me.

Have you used a nozzle for the MAPP gas before?

I did think about this but was worried it might make welding more difficult, I'm no expert as it is, so struggling with the flame on one of those might make it even more of a challenge.

Sponsored Links
The nozzle for map gas is pretty bad tbh ,maybe ok if your not used to proper bottles but we bought a set for repairs idea was iff access tricky but tbh they never left the workshop.
Cant say ive tried the set you linked but was a older version that a bloke we took on had ,he seemed to like em but gas was very expensive and we soon stopped buying them for him and got him to use a portapack instead.

Don't waste your money, only oxy/act will do a decent job of Leadburning & making a Lead Slate can't be done without hours of practice & learned from an artisan Plumber.

Of course you could always buy one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back