P402 sert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me how you go about getting the Two required survey reports that you have to have within 6 months of passing your P402 exam.
As you have to have these before BOHS give you a certificate.
Thanks David

Sponsored Links
You have to do the 2 surveys yourself. Did your training provider not explain this for you and provide templates etc?
The point of the 402 is that you need to demonstrate that you are competent in carrying out the surveys.[/b]

I havnt booked the course yet but i was wondering how you go about doing the serveys. So how do you go about doing the serveys yourself.

Basically you will learn how to do the surveys during the training as part of the course before you take the practical and written exam then you will have to find 2 different propertys to survey, they dont need to be anything special a couple of domestic houses will do, one of them can even be your own house. Before you do the course download and familiarize yourself with the guidance document by the HSE called HSE264 this is the document that the course refers to and sets the industry standard.
By the way it is not a turn up and pass qualification, the 90min written exam is pretty tough going.
Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
This thread scares the hell out of me. The P402 should only be the piece of paper to confirm that you are competent to undertake surveys, not the actual training.

I am a UKAS quality manager for a large firm, i would not dream of sending someone out to survey without a good years experience working alongside a signed off lead surveyor, thats after getting the P402.

If you are a one man band and think you are going to start undertaking asbestos surveys with just a P402, how on earth do you think you are going to comply with the requirements of HSG 264? If you want to get involved with the industry, please find a local UKAS accredited firm who will take you on and train you to undertake SURVEYS.

I get your point galliano2001 but don't you think it kind of takes the **** when you train and learn all the correct procedures and then see most of the "competent professionals" doing surveys and sampling without bothering with PPE or RPE.
I meant HSG264 in previous post, if I recall it states that a 402 certificate does not demonstrate competence you need at least 1 years experience.
Am glad it is now a distant memory for me now.

Exactly - a 402 is not proof in itself, its a MINIMUM qualification to be backed up with good training and experience. Why the HSE did not bite the bullet and insist on UKAS accreditation is beyond me, luckily the size of firm i work for means the clients i have would not dream of not using a proper firm, but its frustrating to hear the horror stories of the £200 surveys smaller companies have paid for and received some generic rubbish with no plans.

As regards to the OP, i woud guess i take on about 20% of my team as graduates with no experience, i like the fact it means they have no bad habits i have to beat out of them!

[quotegalliano20=" but its frustrating to hear the horror stories of the £200 surveys smaller companies have paid for and received some generic rubbish with no plans.
![/quote]
Yep I have seen individuals do full RnD surveys no PPE etc, on site 15mins max for £140
I only did the course to gain an understanding of the occasional survey we get in at work.

Lost Boy - i am saying look at what you actually want out of taking the ~P402, if its to become a sole trader providing surveys, then i disagree strongly, you wont have the experience or people to learn from, its a sure fire recipe to being sued.

If its to make yourself more employable, then ok, but see what the job market is like before investing money and time in a qualification. For trainees i am more intrested in academic qualifications and desire to learn than having a P402.

Its just ive seen a few jobs on job sites for Asbestos surveyors but you need a least P402. I thaught this could be the job for me so if i pased the course i could try and get a job for one of these companies.
Some do ask for a minimum of 2 years experience but some only ask for the P402 as minimum.

Hi,

Personally, I was lucky enough to be given advice about the industry from an asbestos company.
I went and did the 402 and then the company helped me do the 2 surveys required to complete the course.
They were not in a position to offer me a job but I now had the 402 and got a job elsewhere.
Its been 15 months now and I am surveying all sorts of buildings

hi to all the above.

being of exmilatry (13 years) on leaving the services 4 years now i first went to gas enginering , but have left that and to day on the 402 . i went for this as i see allot of work out there at the mo and wondered if any one as an idea of the exam as i have funded this my self and dont fancy throwing it away .
I am looking to gain knowledge with a company and not on my own so also will this open doors for a new industrie for me , many thanks an help welcome
oyea got the test on thursday

mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back