Paint appliance door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we purchased a wine fridge for our new kitchen - all is well apart from the fact that it comes with a silver metal handle - we would prefer black.

Can anybody recommend any primer and final coat paint so we can turn it black?

Many thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Whenever I've repainted metal in the past I've always started with an acid-etch primer and then used automotive paint for the top coat.

You might also be able to use this to prime it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZ3ENYM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I've used the above on a painted steel garage door when sticking Celotex (aluminium foil-backed) to it to improve adhesion but I haven't used it when painting metal. However it does specifically mention usage on metal in the product description, to provide a key for paint, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
If the metal handle on the fridge is very smooth then it might be worth sanding it first, although that won't be necessary if you use acid-etch primer.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's virtually the same stuff that I've used in the past. Just make sure you're very careful with masking up anywhere that you don't want to paint because it won't take much overspray to make a mess of a nice shiny finish. If you can take the handle off and paint it separately then all the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back