Paint bad adherence and cracking - how to rectify

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was redecorating a bed room (loft conversion room so the walls are plasterboard and skim with paint on them) yesterday.

Did my usual light sand, sugar soap, wash, patch wall, wipe down patches ready for painting the prior day. The room was a combination of an offwhite and a strong red and I'm painting some Dulux Trade Flat Matt White over it alll (plan is to add a soft colour to the walls later).

The flat matt white went well on over the old off white. 6 hours later this has retained a lovely finish.

But it has gone over the red terribly. In a small patch of the formerly red section I went over this with a second white coat (it was only about 3 hours later, but it was dry to a 'firm touch') which adhered nicely. But about 6 hours later when I went to check the handiwork the double coated section had cracked/crazed. It's firmly on though - it doesn't crumble to the touch

So, with my limited knowledge I would suspect:
- too thick coat of paint - but I'm rollering on and don't think I'm putting it on too thick, and it's only done this over the red bit
- not enough time between coats - and I could be guilty of this
- matt over silk - but I did give it a light sand with 120 grit and it wasn't that sheeny to be honest.

So, not sure exactly but probably a combo of the last two points.

My issue is now how to rectify...

- I have two main bits of wall which were formerly red and have one not great coat of white over it. I want to put a second coat of white over this (so this is single coated wall) .
- I also have a small section of cracked white to sort (i.e. double coated wall).

Not sure where to go from here, can I layer on again, or possibly with a watered coated, or sand and paint, or easifill the cracked stuff and paint, or do I need a new base sealant etc, or is it try and get the white off and start again etc?

Help appreciated - was hoping to have that room done today and thought it was going a bit well to be true!

Sponsored Links
Ta for the input.

Would I be ok to just apply a coat over the top of what I've done then or do I need some further prep work?

If the crazing is particularly deep it may be wise to use a thin coat of EasiFill and sand it smooth but if the crazing is only minor you might just be able to sand it away without the need for filler. Any filler should be mist coated before re-painting the whole wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back