Paint falling off exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had the rear of my house plastered about 5 years ago, we recently planted some creepers in the back yard however I have noticed that the paint is falling away in places and am wondering whether I should get this sorted before the vines grow over. I have attached some pictures, can anyone see from this what the cause of the crumbling paint is please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As per Steve -What was it plastered with exactly ?

It has been done right down to the ground, soaking up all the wet .

Is the patio level above the damp course, or has the 'plastering' bridged the camp course.

Looks like more than just paint bubbling up

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, unfortunately I don't know what materials the builders used. However there used to be 1 storey outbuildings here and these were knocked down and the patio was extended up to the edge. The outbuildings used to come up to where the drain is now in the picture below. I don't know what was done in terms of damp proofing.

Sponsored Links
it looks like the water would run into the drain "away from the wall"
but tell me something is that brown paint underneath the bubbling white paint?

I think so, I'm not 100% sure though to be honest. If it helps the patch doesn't feel damp its more of a dry flaky feel to the paint...

That is the plaster. It was rendered about 5 years ago....
did they use sand and cement? did they use a cement mixer?

Are there renders that are pink in colour?
My first thought was it looked quite pink (esp the right hand pic) and had someone done something daft & put Bonding on there and covered it with paint. Prob way off the mark though! Over to the pros.

That is the plaster. It was rendered about 5 years ago....
did they use sand and cement? did they use a cement mixer?

Are there renders that are pink in colour?
My first thought was it looked quite pink (esp the right hand pic) and had someone done something daft & put Bonding on there and covered it with paint. Prob way off the mark though! Over to the pros.
that was one of my first thoughts thats why i asked if it was paint my screen shows it as being brown not pink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back