Paint on upvc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a bungalow with 'orrible plastic windows, doors, fascias & soffits. It needs brightening up and replacing all with hardwood is a bit drastic. So to the question ! has anyone used the upvc primers that claim to produce a surface for normal oil paints? are they any good?. TIA

Sponsored Links
Dulux had a range of water based paints out for UPVC and withdrew them because they didnt work.

I would give them a good wash down then rub over with an abrasive cloth to provide a key then a couple of coats of oil based white gloss..no undercoat, you need somthing that will flex with the plastic, undercoat is too britle

Sugar soap is great for cleaning PVC, but sometimes the PVC has been so negleted that no amount of sugar soap will shift it.
And people want thier rooms done, and yet they have manky PVC frames, and it can be soul destroying to do a nice paint job, and yet these manky dirty PVC frames stand out like a sore thumb.

Sugar soap is one of the best cleaners, but even when the SS dont get the grime off, you have to resort to other methods, and I sort of go along with what Zampa says :p , but I will admit, I have given the frames a couple of coats of eggshell, its matt enough to sort of pretend its the actual finish of the PVC, without people noticing you have painted them. :D

Maybe a bit of fine grade (400-800) wet an dry will do the trick to rub it down too.

Whever I paint a room I always clean the windows for the customer..it looks so much better..and...you have more chance of getting a 'drink'.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Bl00dy hell Zampa, we must have been seperated at birth, cause I am exactly the same.

Sometimes if I am flush, I might even buy them a nice picture and hang it for them. ;) ;)

All joking aside, I sometimes wonder if I am a decorator or a cleaner :eek:

cause I end up cleaning thier windows, hanging thier curtains, (only if they are seniors)
I ended up one time clearing a seniors gardens, cause I overheard they were being ripped off by some gypos :eek:

Lol..great minds etc :cool:

Its always a nice touch...put the furniture back give it a wipe over, clean the windows and have a quick hoover up,

Same on an outside,,i was always taught to clean the windows before i glossed em..it looks the finshed job.

You cant say to a customer 'there you go all done'...and the windows are covered in dust and grime.

Its a bit like selling a car..you are more likely to buy one thats bin cleaned

HI, I'M BARRY SCOTT. :evil:

cif is a great cleaner for upvc. Done all mine with it........turned out nice again. :LOL:

You can get uPVC cleaner I think it's a company called Johnsons. However, try MER the car polish. That stuff shifts most grime.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I was actually intending to paint the windows a different colour. Obviously I will have to clean the PVC first. I assume that no one has yet tried the special primer. If I decide to try this route I will post the results.
Thanks again to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back