Paint order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've yet to paint the skirting board and wall.

Which first, skirting or walls? The walls will be a dark colour and skirting white.

Sponsored Links
This also seems to make sense, i think.

Paint the skirting then tape and paint wall.

Otherwise I'll have to tape the skirting first then paint the wall and then tape the wall to paint the skirting.

This way as the skirting is white and wall is currently white theres no need for taping off the skirting.

Any problems that can occur this way?

You are making it sound very complicated.

May I suggest:

1. Prepare and paint the walls. If you get a bit of the wall paint on the skirting it doesn't matter.

2. Prepare and undercoat the skirting, cutting in the top edge of the skirting with the brush held sideways.

3. Repeat with trim coat(s) .

You really don't want to be faffing about with masking tape. A steady hand is enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the clarification.

I dont think I could make a steady line between wall and skirting.

I'll be doing the line between ceiling and wall by hand but skirting sounds alot harder.

My suggestion is:

1. Paint skirting - without worry of paint ovelapping, as it will be white on white.
2. Paint wall - Tape skirting off and paint wall without worry of paint getting on skirting (the wall paint will be quite dark).

Although I take your point about doing it top to bottom.

Well, you got advice and its up to you to ignore it or not.

I agree fully with emilybronte. You can always touch up the wall colour if you need to.

So long as the join between the skirting and the wall is not gappy you can just carefully paint the top edge of the skirting with a good quality brush.

Well, you got advice and its up to you to ignore it or not.

I agree fully with emilybronte. You can always touch up the wall colour if you need to.

So long as the join between the skirting and the wall is not gappy you can just carefully paint the top edge of the skirting with a good quality brush.

I'm not ignoring it, I came up with an alternative and hoped someone would agree or disagree.

I see you disagree, but thanks for the info and the proper way to do it.

If the paint is fresh on the skirt (with oil that could be a few weeks) there's a risk that masking tape will pull the paint on removal.

Top to bottom works fine on simple walls and skirt.

When you have picture rail, dado rail and skirt it become more complex.

For room with loads of wood details separating a wall, I do all prep top to bottom, wood coats on details then cut the emulsion on to each. If cutting in slips, wipe of the water based slip and re apply.
Emulsion when fresh is easier to remove from oil than oil on emulsion.

If all paint is water based then it's down to choice. Always ask yourself which will be easier to cut in.

Buy a 20mm sash brush and have a play, they won't be anywhere near as quick as cutting in via an experienced hand and a 3" brush, but they are pretty good for DIY ers. Avoid masking tape.

If the skirting has a rolled top edge then cut it in to the wall . But if the skirting has a small - 1 to 2 mm flat top , then leave that in wall colour and paint the front of the skirting :idea: that`s what I do .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back