Painting a normal (dry) cellar with masonry paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a normal brick cellar in a hundred year old house. The cellar is reasonably dry but not very well ventilated. I want to paint the brick walls of my cellar but I dont want to do anything which will cause me problems later on.

I want to use the cellar as a server room as well as a storage room - ie keep a couple of computers down there switched on - even though no one will actually be in there.

I am not sure about ventilation but hopefully the heat source of the computers will help circulate air into the rest of the house.

However the walls are a bit untidy and I would like to paint them. I have already bought some masonry paint (with silicon - in case that makes a difference) but dont really know if that is acceptable. The walls do seem to have some kind of white limewashing on them which looks a bit like chalk.

What I am concerned about is whther I am going to cause any damp problems in the bricks by painting them on the inside with exterior masonry paint.

Or am I worrying about nothing?

Sponsored Links
Take paint back.

Then buy Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus and apply this to your already coated bricks.

Then buy, in my opinion, Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen and apply this in two or three coats.

NB do it in the summer..........

Is the Cellar cold ?

Third_Eye said:
Is the Cellar cold ?

No, neither cold nor warm. It does however stay the same temperature as far as I can tell which makes it good for wine :)

Sponsored Links
Ok........

What to do then to be safe is coat a small area first with Dulux Trade Stain Block Plus and leave for atleast 72 hours. Then feel it to check it has dried. If so, then coat all your already coated bricks.

Do this same process with Dulux Soft Sheen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back