Painting a plastic front door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to do a job for someone who has a white plastic front door which has been painted red (for some strange reason every other one in the close has been painted red) and he wants it painted white.

Obviously a bit of a bizzare one so thought I'd post here, I've read plenty of topics but yet to post!

My current thought it to pick off any of the flaking paint, stretch the rest of the paint to get a key and then use a plastic primer on it. Something like - http://www.autopaint-pro.co.uk/1ltr-tetrosyl-trade-1k-plastic-primer-624-p.asp

Then I'd just treat it as if it where a wooden door, a couple of coats of undercoat and then some white exterior gloss.

Would this work? is there any easier way?

Any help appreciated! doubt many of you will have experience with this but any advice no matter how small could help

cheers

Sponsored Links
Rub it down with some good wet n dry and undercoat it. Rub down again, Rub down again, then gloss it with a thinned down coat of gloss. You can apply a second coat of gloss if you want.

Thanks for the tips, should I not bother with the plastic primer?

How much thinning down will the gloss need 10%?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back