Painting a tanked cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 1830's mid terrace house, with a large-ish cellar. The cellar has been tanked supposedly. As you stand in the cellar, looking out towards the light well window which looks out onto the road the wall behind you has new breeze blocks (which is where I assume the tanking has been done), the wall to the left has the original range/fireplace and the right wall has bare brick with what looks like whitewash on the wall. There are signs of old lime plaster for the first 6 inches above the floor. The floor is concrete with a DPM beneath.

There wasn't a massive problem with damp in the cellar, but cardboard has a finite life down there and some of my tools have started to go rusty! This got worse when the next door neighbour had their cellar tanked, and better when I left the window open.

My question is whether it is worth putting a coat or two of Zinsser watertite on the bare brick walls - does any one have any experience of this? Will I just be making the problem worse if I do this, by forcing the damp elsewhere?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back