Painting an entire 3 bed semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, my 3 bed semi is fresh plaster throughout. i'm getting to the point of buying the paint to paint the bugger. I've been reading through for the last day at reviews of certain paints. Bottom line, I'm on a budget. I've heard / read dulux is the best and others are iffy. What is your guys opionion, knowing i'm going to buy bulk.

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
If you've got any white overalls, put them on and go to a Dulux decorating centre and say that you're "Trade cash".

Gliddens contract emulsion is excellent paint for your new plaster. Your colours are limited but a thing I do is buy magnolia and Brill white and mix them together as I find Mag too dark.

Dust off your new plaster first with a soft brush to make sure you're not painting over an unstable surface.

Don't use rubbish.

Thanks for coming back to me,

i'm assuming i'm after Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. Would I be looking at a discount from the online prices?

Thanks

James

You`re after the correct paint - almost -it`s Dulux Trade Supermatt - doesn`t have the vinyl and you don`t want it ( vinyl) or PVA on new plaster ;) dunno about the prices .

Sponsored Links
You`re after the correct paint - almost -it`s Dulux Trade Supermatt - doesn`t have the vinyl and you don`t want it ( vinyl) or PVA on new plaster ;) dunno about the prices .

Would it be ok to use the Gliddens as the mist coat (cheap) and then the vinyl matt to finish ?

Gliddens do a contact matt which is basically the same as dulux supermatt. Anything labelled 'contract' has little or no vinyl in so its fine for mist coating, and yep contract mist and vinyl top coat/s is the way to go. I always pole sand the walls, dust off and fill any surface defects after the mist coat, then once dry rub down the filler, spot prime the filler (same as mist) and top coat/s.

Little tip i always mark with blue tape where i've filled as its easy to miss white filler on a white wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back