painting an mdf piano shell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//media.diynot.com/167000_166269_34446_71404574_thumb.jpg

i have built a full sized baby grand piano shell from mdf. it's to house an electric piano for portable gigs around the UK.

i am looking at painting it black. i'm not after the truly polished mirror type shine of a grand piano, but i dont want to see gloss paint streaks or orange peel in it either. my question is, which would be the best way to paint it?? what would be the best paint??

i don't have a spray gun and compressor so spraying would be from cans.

if i used brushes and rollers, would i get a silky smooth finish all over, or a smooth glossy finish, i'd be happy with either result.

any help or pointers would be truly appreciated
thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Firstly you will need to apply a couple of coats of primer (water based) before any u/c and gloss, I would doubt your chances of obtaining a good finish using spray cans and perhaps not a good idea.

It will be your painting skills that will determine the finish result, if your brush skills are a little suspect you could apply your paint with a roller lightly laying off with a brush, this method will help to reduce brush marks and allow a smoother finish.

Regarding your gloss a higher shine and smoother finish will be obtained by applying more thinner coats as opposed to one thicker one, lightly sanding with around 100 grit wet between coats, don't overthin this will reduce sheen levels.

Hope this is of some help

Dec

cheers for that!!

any idea which would be a good black paint for the finish?

Sponsored Links
Anyone of them would be ok, it's the application methods that will offer good results.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back