Painting exterior hung tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Brother-in-law has asked me to help him paint the outside of his house.

The lower half is brickwork, but with a lot of growth over it.
I have told him that we need to remove it all and possibly apply some kind of moss/plant killer before we paint it.

The top half of the house is tile hung - the green rough finish concrete type.
The house opposite have done it and it looks fine.

The general plan was to mask up and spray the tiles with masonry paint, as we thought it might get into the tile gaps a little easier.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You have pretty much got it all sorted, a lot of prep work has to be put in by the sounds of things.

As for spraying, then you will have to see what is around you. Might have to have some scaffolding with sheeting around it.

Spraying should be OK. Wait for some decent non-windy days.
There isn't anyone one near so over-spray isn't an issue.

Spraying should be OK. Wait for some decent non-windy days.
There isn't anyone one near so over-spray isn't an issue.

NO-NO.... do not spray unless you are prepared to mask all around the windows...what you need is masonary paint and two brushes one large and one small to get in the gaps

Sponsored Links
Well I am obviously going to mask up!

All the facias and soffits are coming off to be replaced, as is all the guttering and downpipes. So they can come off and be left off.
So really its only the windows and sills that need masking + the lower half of the building.

The lower half of the house I was going to hang polythene from the batten that runs along the bottom hung tile (you can see it looking underneath).
Spray paint should not go through the polythene.

I know the overspray can travel a long way, but if we sheet up the ground for the first 20 feet, I reckon that will catch most of it.
Wouldn't really matter anyway, as three sides of the house has tarmac around it that is coming up at a later date.

Painting it by brush will be a right pain due to all the little gaps between each tile. The house opposite sprayed theirs and I think its the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back