Painting kitchen walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm planning on painting my kitchen walls over the existing white matt. Now its been a few years since i painted it so just need some advice on the best way to prepare the walls. I'm thinking about sanding lightly then sugar soap. Is this right? If sanding is needed, what grade would be best?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
I'd sugar soap first, then a good firm sand once dry. Make sure you rinse the SS well to avoid any problems. I always recommend eggshell for kitchens, you'll find it labelled as kitchen and bathroom in the sheds.

Thanks for your reply.

May i ask why wash then sand? I was under the impression to sand then sugar soap as this will clean away the dust produced by sanding.

Phil

The reason you wash with sugar soap first is to remove grease and contaminants which are often found on kitchen walls. If you sand first and sand over grease you'll clog up the abrasive and get in a mess.

Sponsored Links
The reason you wash with sugar soap first is to remove grease and contaminants which are often found on kitchen walls. If you sand first and sand over grease you'll clog up the abrasive and get in a mess.

Rightio :) So sugar soap first then sand. Do i need to just wipe the wall down after i've sanded. With the other walls in the house is just sugar soaping enough?

Thanks

Phil

You can wipe it all down or dust it off. As for the other walls, if they're dirty use sugar soap and if they feel rough give them a good sand down.

What grade of sand paper? Also whats the best method to sand a wall? I would imagine using a sanding block would take a while!

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back