Painting Newly Rendered External Walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got some newly rendered walls outside our house, finished nearly two weeks ago and my better half is desperate to get them painted.

Could anyone tell me how is it o.k to paint them now or do i have to leave it longer?

A friend advised me to buy DULUX TRADE EXTERNAL SMOOTH MASONRY PAINT, is this the best stuff to paint on there? I thought it might last longer if its a good quality paint. Is this correct?

Also should i do a ghost coat like painting new plaster (50%paint/50%water)

It's a sponged finish, but i noticed that its powdery when i rub my fingers over it, Do i need a Sealer/Primer first or would the ghost coat do?

Many thanks for any advice.

i just want to do this job once, so i'd better do it correctly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1) If you can leave them a while longet it will help..they may look dry...but they may not be dry in depth.

2) always a good idea to buy a quality paint..personally im not kene on dulux because of its poor covering power and tendancy to skin up when its in the tray outside...but it wont let you down...other brands to consider are crown strong hold, johnstones storm sheild and sandtex..

3) 50/50 is a bit much for a mist coat of masonry..id say about no more than 23% for the first one.

4) The dusty feel is down to loose sand particles...give it a good brush down with a stiff broom....you dont need the stabilise new rendering...unless the builder has 'economised' :rolleyes: on the cement!

Be prepared to give it three coats...but it will be worthwhile

Sponsored Links
i would only use an oil based masonary you dont want to be doing it every year with waterbased. i use sandtex 365 its called 365 as you can use it 365 days a year aslong as the surface is dry you can put the paint on and it can hammer down with rain in 20 mins and it will still be where you left it as water based will be running down the road :eek: i also use dulux weathersheild oil based. aslong as its done correctly you can power wash it down as many times as you like ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back