Painting over artex.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I never seem to get the same results twice when painting over the top of Artex with emulsion. Some ceilings cover fine, on others the paint peels away from the ceiling.

What is the best way of doing this? Is there a tried-and-tested answer?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I only thing I can think off is the ceiling may have some grease or maybe smoking stains etc to prevent emulsion paint sticking on, sugar soap is good for cleaning the grease off

A coat of diluted pva will help once its been cleaned off

Thermo

Thanks for the tips! I'm working on the utility room this weekend, so I will give it a go.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Definately seal it with PVA or similar. I have had to do this in every room in the house because the artex was so dry and absorbent - it was that bad that when painting the first one with a roller, just going over the edge a bit I had painted 30 seconds earlier caused the previously applied paint to come off on the roller!! It seemed as though the previous occupiers had never been bothered to paint any celings in the house in the previous 8 years!! In the largest rooms I did 2 coats of sealant just to make sure!!

As a side issue : Do builders/developers not usually decorate artexed ceilings these days??

I used ready mixed Artex recently, it said 'no need to paint'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back