Painting Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my flat plastered recently and the plasterer recommended using a 50 / 50 mix of cheap emulsion and water to seal the plaser.

I was just wondering what the advantage is of adding water. Is it better to do this or could I just use the emulsion?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will be easier to apply, you will only use half the paint = half the cost, apart from it will seal the walls.

Thanks. I'm just back from B&Q and I'm more confused now.

My plasterer told me to get the cheapest B&Q matt emulsion and mix with water. I then read on here that you shouldn't use vinyl matt. I asked one staff member in B&Q if they had non vinyl matt emulsion, he ssaid no, all their emulsion was vinyl.

I then saw something called dulux supermatt which said it was ideal for newly plastered walls. (75:25 mix paint:water) A second staff member told me I could use vinyl as it's cheaper than the supermatt and that he knew because he's a painter.

Anyone have any suggestions? If I do use the supermatt can I then do my top coats in other stuff?

Firstly......your plasterer is wrong, a thinned coat of emulsion is used to prime the walls not seal them?....seal them from what??...it soaks into the surface as opposed to sitting on the top...if a coat of paint is applied unthinned then the water in the paint soaks into the wall....leaving the pigment on the surface, which could eventually flake off.

Also, if you put a coat of unthinned paint onto bare plaster you will end up with a bad 'orange peel' effect....and on top of that.....its hard work too!

If the walls have had many layers of plaster on them forming a thick coating then you should use non vinyl matt emulsion for all the coats to allow he wall to 'breathe'

If its just a skim over then supermatt or vinyl matt will do..NOT VINYL SILK!....but make sure you give the walls tree coats....one mist....two full coats..if you put a coat of vinyl matt over non vinyl matt then you will probably get a patchy finish.

Dulux supermatt is fine for a mist coat.....i use it all the time and you can go 50/50 easily....it should always be cheaper than vinyl matt..I pay about 9 quid for 5 litres of supermatt and 16 quid for vinyl matt.

Once the walls are 'misted up' then its ok to give them a light sanding down.

He is probably comparing a dulux retail paint (vinyl matt) to a trade paint (supermatt)....I have noticed that places like b&q keep trade paint in stock......but its an awful price in these places...dont touch it...look for your local dulux trade centre...trade paint is far better quality

In the trade we dont use the term 'non vinyl matt'...its called 'contract matt'.....if you ask for this in a trade cetre they will point you in the right direction......if you ask for it in a diy store they will probably say 'wha?'

And.....beware of advice from staff in these places most of them are clueless...not their fault....its the lack of training given.

And as for the 'painter'....if he is a painter.....why isnt he out there earning a fortune bleeding old ladies of their life savings?......like me! ;)

Good luck...

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the advice Zampa. much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back