Painting Problem!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone,

I am decorating my living room just now as we have just moved into this house. The previous owners had lining paper on the walls coated in magnolia. I thought it would be straight forward enough to paint over as I am using a darker grey colour.

When I had applied my first coat I noticed the lines of the lining paper were showing through and a few of the joints on the lining paper started to peel off. I read that if you cut out bad sections of lining paper and fill in with caulk you could paint over it and they wouldn't be seen.

I have given the wall 4 coats now and the sections I filled in eventually show through as dark patches. Have I used the wrong filler? is there anything I could try to remedy this?

Or is it worse case scenario - hang new lining paper and start again?

Any help much appreciated, think I should just stick to the electrical work!

Sponsored Links
Just strip and line it. As with all of these type of things the more you try and do it on the cheap the more it will cost you.

I don't know who told you to use caulk but they should stick to their day job, if they are decorators, suggest they try another profession because that sort of tip is just cowboy stuff.

Sponsored Links
I agree with the advice above. Best solution is not to have any gaps showing to begin with. I recommend you use Wallrock Fibreliner, pref. in the 75cm or 1 metre wide size. It's really tough and easy to hang, (no stretching or shrinking) and it's paste the wall so you don't need a pasting table or booking time. If applied with care the joins do not show even before painting and certainly not after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back