Painting Frustration!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone,

I am decorating my living room just now as we have just moved into this house. The previous owners had lining paper on the walls coated in magnolia. I thought it would be straight forward enough to paint over as I am using a darker grey colour.

When I had applied my first coat I noticed the lines of the lining paper were showing through and a few of the joints on the lining paper started to peel off. I read that if you cut out bad sections of lining paper and fill in with caulk you could paint over it and they wouldn't be seen.

I have given the wall 4 coats now and the sections I filled in eventually show through as dark patches. Have I used the wrong filler? is there anything I could try to remedy this?

Or is it worse case scenario - hang new lining paper and start again? :(

Any help much appreciated, think I should just stick to the electrical work!

Sponsored Links
Sometimes when you paint lining paper bubbles and peeled edges may appear. This is because the paper is damp and it expands, areas where theres no glue will come loose.

Your best bet is to wait until the paint is completely dry and see if they settle down again, some will some wont. The ones that wont it's best to repair, not cut out. Slice down the bubble with a sharp stanley and paste in some strong pva with a small brush. Smooth down the bubble and paint over when dry. Same sort of thing for the edges. The dark patches youve got now, sand them, apply a quality primer (zinsser b-i-n) and then your final coat to cover .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back