Painting steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) I have 5 steps leading down from patio doors to our patio. Approx 5ft wide and have been there for around 15yrs. Over the last couple of years they have started to discolour, greyish to black and develop a couple of fine cracks.
Can anyone advise me of a really good product/paint that would be durable, steps are quite often in use .
Thanks for any feedback anyone can help with :)

Sponsored Links
Why don't you tile them?
Any paint you put on will eventually chip but with decent tiles it'll look the business and last for an age.

I painted my front doorstep last year. I used proper doorstep paint. It seems to be very good. Cheaper and quicker than tiles, also not slippery when wet. Try paint first it would be a cheap option just to try.

You have scrubbed them?

The black might be mildew if they are at all damp. Wash with bleach in water and they will come up bright.

Sponsored Links
:) Thanks guys for the replies. Yes I have scrubbed them, unfortunately they seem to blacken over quicker now, I've done it twice. I would like to paint them but not sure what the best product would be, any ideas?
Thanks again for your time and ideas.

You could power wash them - I did mine this weekend, along with the flags.
It's like a new house - Ah say it's like a new house :)

Diyisfun said:
I painted my front doorstep last year. I used proper doorstep paint. It seems to be very good. Cheaper and quicker than tiles, also not slippery when wet. Try paint first it would be a cheap option just to try.
That red doorstep paint (made by international paints) you're going on about would look daft on 5 steps. Looks fine on a single step but not 5. Also you'll need at least 2 tins cause they're only 250ml tins. I've got half a tin of it left (I use it on my back doorstep) and the amount of traffic it gets you need to do it each year to keep it looking like new. If you like I can show you a pic of what a doorstep looks like after a few years use with that paint - it ain't pretty.
Tiles are more or less maintenance free and would look much better on the steps than paint.
You don't really want to paint the steps, then decide later that you want to tile them or you'll need to scrape all that paint off. You really need to make the decision now.
If you don't fancy tiling, you could always try brick/patio cleaner - costs about a tenner for 5 litres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back