Painting vinyl silk paint on top of yacht varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a tongue and groove ceiling in our kitchen which has been painted over in a clear yacht varnish. We want to paint it with a vinyl paint. Do we really have to strip the yacht varnish off first or can it be rubbed or sanded off instead. Do we also need to put a primer or undercoat on before top coat?

Sponsored Links
you may well be better off posting this in the decoratots forum. Painting is not my field so I may be a slightly wrong here but, If the varnish is an old oil/solvent based varnish, just painting over the top will cause it to blister rather like sunburn. As far as I'm aware you will need to really rub it down first (wirewool will do), then rub white spirit over it to remove any residue grease (especially since it is a kitchen).
then you will need to prime it before you can put emulsion over it.

Maybe a painter will correct me, but I'm fairly certain thats correct.
woody

To save you a lot of work try painting with a liquid sander first and then apply your paint. Also, if you ask the suppliers of varnish i.e. International they will be able to give the correct way to do it..

Personally I think a vinyl would probably go over varnish, but the best thing to do would be to test a small area to see if there is any reaction. If not, give a light sand all over, wipe with meths and paint without any basecoat.

Sponsored Links
You will need to give it a very good sanding and dont skimp on the actual grooves themselves then id go for a coat of dulux supergrip primer or melamine primer...allow to properly cure for a few days then apply your silk.

Bare in mind though that t/g is always on the move and you could end up with constant cracks and/or dark lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back