panel heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm just wondering why my panel heater uses two plugs. And if one of them is redundant, can I rewire it to become a 3pin socket?
Please advise. thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean Storage Heater, if so it probably has on peak and off peak supplies

So your heater has two of these:

MK646.JPG

and you want to replace one of them with one of these:

MKK2757.JPG

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I don't think so......

I'm sure that isn't what you meant, but I can't work out what that might be..

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

crap..I don't know how to insert images!

So basically, my heater has two switches on the wall. Not the 3pin plug or anything. Just on/off switches. So i'm thinking of changing one of them into a socket for a 3pin plug. Am I getting these terms correctly here? is it ok?

Have you tried turning one off, and leaving it like that for a while, to see what effect it has on the operation of the heaters?

And then repeating the test with the other switch?

I've no idea why there are two connections, but I've never heard of HA heaters with redundant supplies, so whatever they are for, I'd be surprised if you could remove one and not affect something.

It is likely to be a Storage Heater, with a daytime boost circuit taken off the ring main.

One B16MCB in the economy seven CU feeds the main charging part of the heater, whilst a separate daytime topup, can be switched in on those really cold days, as that half is fed off the ring main, hence the two feeds.

If I were you, I would NOT attempt to put a plug on the heater, as if a fault appeared on one part of the heater, it could leave the exposed plug pins live, if say for example, the night time circult developed a fault, and the plug for the daytime booster was left unplugged.

i don't really know how a storage heater works. My current rudimental understanding is that, if I switch on the offpeak switch, the heat storing begins. And if I just leave it there, the stored heat will be released in the daytime. But one question, can you control the way heat is released in the daytime?

oh, and kai, i don't really get the 'exposing live pins' part. can you rephrase? thanks

tabita said:
But one question, can you control the way heat is released in the daytime?
See: http://www.nef.org.uk/energyadvice/storageheating.htm
oh, and kai, i don't really get the 'exposing live pins' part. can you rephrase? thanks
If something went wrong with the heater with one plug in and the other plug out, the fault could cause the second plug to have live pins (at mains voltage) exposed to being touched.

No. You removing both plugs doesn't stop someone else coming along and connecting one. Potentially dangerous, so best not do it!

BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL!!!!
I have seen several installations where the night rate and daytime overide are on different phases! YOU COULD if you are not ABSOLUTELY sure of what you are doing inadvertently mix the phases with CATASTROPHIC results. I'm sure NO-MORE-SHEDS could enlighten us all further?

BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL!!!!
I have seen several installations where the night rate and daytime overide are on different phases! YOU COULD if you are not ABSOLUTELY sure of what you are doing inadvertently mix the phases with CATASTROPHIC results. I'm sure NO-MORE-SHEDS could enlighten us all further?

I don't understand the "different phases" part.
What if I unwire both switches? Surely that would completely isolate the heater from ANY electricity...no chance of simply plugging the heater in... I mean, I don't think I need the heater... ,. although will it be dangerous while I'm unwiring the switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back