Pantry light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have no light in our ( under the stairs ) pantry at the moment so am looking at running one in that comes on with the main kitchen light, do i have to run this extra light from the ceiling rose of the existing light or can i go from the more convieniently placed light switch which is placed directly in front of the pantry. Cheers

Sponsored Links
if there is a neutral at the switch you can run from there. pics of the switch connections will help.

Sponsored Links
I can't provide pics just now, there is just one cable running to the switch connected to L1 COM and earth

L1, COM and earth suggest there will not be a neutral available, just live and switch wire. Your only way would be to go from the kitchen ceiling rose, unless there is somewhere else? Is the consumer unit in there, by any chance? Any power socket at the top of the stairs?

Might a battery powered wall light be enough for such a small space?

There is a power socket in there, we were just hoping we could run it to come on with the main kitchen light, never mind, many thanks for all your help

Hi, would this help, an automatic light switch that reacts to a door opening - via a fused spur to existing power point.
White Flat Plate Mortice Door Switch Push to Break 2A (toolstation.com)

Or I have used a double pole appliance switch that is not unlike a standard light switch, but has the advantage of a neon indicator to indicate when the light in the enclosed room has been left on!
MK Base 20AX 1-Gang DP Control Switch White with Neon with White Inserts | Switches | Screwfix.com
Picture0005.jpg

Hi, would this help, an automatic light switch that reacts to a door opening - via a fused spur to existing power point.
White Flat Plate Mortice Door Switch Push to Break 2A (toolstation.com)

Or I have used a double pole appliance switch that is not unlike a standard light switch, but has the advantage of a neon indicator to indicate when the light in the enclosed room has been left on!
MK Base 20AX 1-Gang DP Control Switch White with Neon with White Inserts | Switches | Screwfix.com
View attachment 258909

Cheers fella will have a look, many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back