parking on a junction ? illegal ?

As an example but not limited to:
Think three or more lane roads. i.e. two or more lanes going in the same direction.
One lane stationary due to traffic ahead preventing any further forward travel. The other lane is allowed to continue moving, unless and until a vehicle stops to allow the crossing to be used.
Or, in the instance mentioned, a bus stopped to allow passengers to alight or disembark, vehicles are allowed to pass it. You're not overtaking a stationary vehicle, you're passing it.
Overtaking is not allowed, passing is, unless the vehicle you're passing has stopped to allow pedestrians to cross.
Obviously, sensible drivers display due diligence when performing this manouvre.

You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians
http://www.2pass.co.uk/crossing.htm

Also, you're allowed to pass the vehicles stopped behind the lead vehicle, but not the lead vehicle, even though the lead vehicle has stopped to allow the crossing to be used.
Stictly speaking, only the lead vehicle has stopped to allow people to cross, the others have stopped because their forward travel is impeded.

Sponsored Links
Parking offense depends where you live, in greater London parking on the pavement is any offence, but due to bye laws. Some authorities permit pavement parking in certain areas [though not always marked which can lead to confusion]My local authority allows parking across access to property provided you are only across one properties access [presumably assumes it will be your own property but not stipulated] is you park across access to multiple properties then it's an offense.In my street parking in bays half on and half off the pavement is permitted, but, causes lots of problems to visitors who interpret the signs to mean no parking on the pavement.

I see the point, but it is invalid anyway. A vehicle parked or stopped on zigzags, is breaking the law. If a vehicle is stopped with the engine off, then it is classed as parked. If the vehicle has it's engine running then it's classed as overtaking. Even if stopped.

But it's still illegal to park on zigzags. I've never seen a pedestrian crossing across 3 lanes (ie a motorway), I think as you live in a different part of the country to me, your perception might be different to mine. What I understand a pedestrian crossing is on an "A" rated road, with 2 lanes.

And Foxhole - parking on the pavement is illegal anywhere. The pavements aren't built to supprt the weight of vehicles, and result in cracked paving stones, which distrubute the weight. to be replaced with tarmac. which is worse, that results in broken water and gas mains that run beneath them.

I see the point, but it is invalid anyway. A vehicle parked or stopped on zigzags, is breaking the law. If a vehicle is stopped with the engine off, then it is classed as parked. If the vehicle has it's engine running then it's classed as overtaking. Even if stopped.

But it's still illegal to park on zigzags. I've never seen a pedestrian crossing across 3 lanes (ie a motorway), I think as you live in a different part of the country to me, your perception might be different to mine. What I understand a pedestrian crossing is on an "A" rated road, with 2 lanes.

'Cor Blimey. You can take a donkey to water but you can't make it think.

It is sometimes allowable to park within zig zags: ambulances, fire engines, police, parking attendants, etc. In fact anyone carrying out their statutory duty. I believe it can include builders, etc.

As for your definition of parked or not parked, e.g. stopped with engine running is not parked is bonkers.
I'd like to see you find a link to that definition.
For instance, if I stopped and left the engine running I couldn't receive a parking ticket 'cos I hadn't parked. Yeah :eek: :rolleyes: that'll work m'Lud.

A three lane road to me means one lane going one way and the other two going the other way, or any permutation of that. NOT all three lanes going the same way.
For instance a four lane road is two lanes going each way. A two lane road is one lane each way, which you used yourself as an example.

Sponsored Links
An emergency vehicle parked illegally, is as illegal as if you or me parked illegally.

If you are stopped on double yellows, with the engine running, then you cannot get a parking ticket. As you are not parked, you are stopped. Logical really. For if you stopped at a zebra crossing, a warden could ticket the whole line of stopped traffic.

If you sit in your car, drunk, with the engine off. You can be done for drink driving.

I've had a long ongoing battle with my local council regarding placements of bus stances (that's bus stops for the ill informed), due to position, and length. I've actually had the head of road planning, and GMPTE on the phone, and had a local restriction that workmen were installing removed, due to this, and also had an article in the local paper regarding this issue, over illegal signposting, and road painting, highlighted, so yes I do know a little about this issue, and also had three parking tickets overturned due to this issue, as they were wrong.

So I think you will find that I DO know what I'm talking about.

It is sometimes allowable to park within zig zags: ambulances, fire engines, police, parking attendants, etc. In fact anyone carrying out their statutory duty. I believe it can include builders, etc.
An emergency vehicle parked illegally, is as illegal as if you or me parked illegally.

I did say allowable, not legal. Read what I said, not what you think I said.
If anyone is daft enough to ticket them and they can prove that they were acting in accordance with the requirement of their duties the ticket will be revoked.

As for your definition of parked or not parked, e.g. stopped with engine running is not parked is bonkers.
I'd like to see you find a link to that definition.
For instance, if I stopped and left the engine running I couldn't receive a parking ticket 'cos I hadn't parked. Yeah :eek: :rolleyes: that'll work m'Lud.

If you are stopped on double yellows, with the engine running, then you cannot get a parking ticket. As you are not parked, you are stopped. Logical really. For if you stopped at a zebra crossing, a warden could ticket the whole line of stopped traffic.

If you sit in your car, drunk, with the engine off. You can be done for drink driving.

Try it! Let us know how you get on parking within zigzags or on double yellows with your engine running. You may have found a way to avoid the parking ticket....somehow I doubt it.
According to your 'imaginary' definition of being parked with your engine off, all new efficient vehicles with automatic engine stop when they're stationary would be parked.

As for sitting in the car and being charged for driving under the influence, the criteria surely is a) whether you are sitting in the drivers seat and b) whether you have the keys in the ignition or elsewhere.
By your definition, if the engine is off, you are quite clearly parked!

I've had a long ongoing battle ......../
So I think you will find that I DO know what I'm talking about.

You've probably had a few long ongoing battles: poltergeists, ghosts, courts, dole offices, council offices, neighbours, hold-ups, etc.
It doesn't mean that you know what you're talking about.
IMO, it suggests that you do not know what you're talking about to be involved in so many 'long ongoing battles'.

And Foxhole - parking on the pavement is illegal anywhere. The pavements aren't built to supprt the weight of vehicles, and result in cracked paving stones, which distrubute the weight. to be replaced with tarmac. which is worse, that results in broken water and gas mains that run beneath them.
Afraid not I park on the pavement everyday, my local council requires it as traffic cannot pass if we park on the road. Would you like a pic :LOL:

Afraid not I park on the pavement everyday, my local council requires it as traffic cannot pass if we park on the road. Would you like a pic :LOL:

That's true also, when flagging was used, as opposed to tarmac, the slabs cracked under the weight of vehicles, and the tarmac they replaced it with is even weaker. Thus damages the infrastructure. Due to this, there had been a bad smell of gas outside my house, and all the households were being charged incorrectly for years. When the main was fixed, everyone was sent £££ bills, for gas they hadn't used, until the matter was resolved, and is still ongoing.

Redherring, it is ILLEGAL in any scenario to park on zigzags. Even if it is an emergency, as the lines are there for a reason.

Redherring - if you are parked on double yellows, or zigzags, and the engine is running, presumably with someone at the controls, then you can drive off before a ticket is issued?

I have no idea what your last comment is about. I had an issue with the council regarding an illegal bus stance, I won, they repainted it. Job done. Maybe my life is exciting, and yours is boring? But to me, mine is boring, and yours is dreadful.

Redherring - if you are parked on double yellows, or zigzags, and the engine is running, presumably with someone at the controls, then you can drive off before a ticket is issued?

A Police Officer or a Traffic Warden can do you for illegal parking whether or not a ticket is issued, i.e. if you drive off, it can arrive in the post and you're still done!
A Local Authority parking attendant must issue a ticket.

I thought you knew what you were talking about. ;)

I have no idea what your last comment is about.

I have no intention of explaining myself slowly again .
Try to keep up.

RonaldO........regarding your earlier post, I would suggest that parking on a footpath IS an offence. What about the blind person you're forcing to walk onto the carriageway, or the young mum with a pram ??. It's obstruction which ever way you want to look at it.

I do agree with you but the word you should have used is, offensive, because unless it actually causes an obstruction to a single persons passage the police do not count blind double bugged child carrying invalids as single persons and shouldn't be on an obstructed pavement anyway.

The roads around my way a quite wide but cars are still found on the pavements.

When the only passage is on the pavement which cars have parked on and restricted the route for my bike I have on occasions widen it slightly. Funnily enough those people never restricted the access again.

Many pavements have cycling rights on them and those that don't are available for children to cycle on. If any of you feel the need to cycle slowly on an empty pavement and are questioned by the police just explain that its for your safety while the traffic is bad or you normally ride along it with the kids. They need a logical reason to allow you to carry on.

Parked with one or more wheels on any part of an urban road other than the carriageway (footpath parking) – You are not allowed to park with a wheel on the pavement within the M25 unless specifically allowed by signage. Elsewhere you can park on the pavement unless specifically prohibited. (Contravention Code 62)
'It' may well be prohibited but what is the law concerning signage? There may be a lower requirement than imagined...
Contravention code 28 parked in a special enforcement area on part of the carriageway raised to meet the level of a footway, cycle track or verge.
Suggests a table type full width 'sleeping policeman' among other obstructions !

-0-

well my interest was flagging ;) I was almost sleeping. The posts were written too fast for me to read - so I resorted to Lampoonery :mrgreen:

I recently got caught by one of those police Smart cars that have a camera on top of them. They had parked up near a set of traffic lights and observed. Apparently they were 'snapping' motorists who did not stop on red, the amber gamblers, those not wearing seat belts and those using mobile phones (which was my offence).

I had stopped on the red light and took the call whilst stationary at the lights. All I said on the phone was 'I'm driving and will call you back in 5 minutes'. The lights were still on red when the call finished, and it is only then that I spotted the snooping police. I hoped they had not caught me, but they had, the ticket soon followed in the post!

But what really got my goat up was that the police were parked on the pavement! Now come on, how can they do me for a minor offence when they were parked on the pavement? IT AIN'T FAIR!

Lou.

They can't do you, unless your engine is running?

Sponsored Links
Back