parking on a junction ? illegal ?

Birkee wrote:......As I read it, it's not illegal to park on a dropped curb to someones drive, UNLESS.....you prevent the house owner exiting. It isn't illegal if you stop them getting on their drive.
Mind you....it ought to be

Yes it is in Liverpool. Someone parked across my driveway on bonfire night to go and watch the display in the local park whilst my wife was out. I contacted the police, (not by dialling 999 I may add), to ask them on the legalities. As they had a car patrolling the area they asked him to pop over and have a look. After explaining the situation he declared it was a case of obstruction and issued a fixed penalty notice to that effect.

Micky wrote:.....I've never seen a pedestrian crossing across 3 lanes (ie a motorway), I think as you live in a different part of the country to me, your perception might be different to mine. What I understand a pedestrian crossing is on an "A" rated road, with 2 lanes.

Micky, any major conurbation will have a number of A class roads with 3 lanes running in the same direction. They are usually found on 'Ring' roads directing traffic around the periphery of a town/city rather than through it and will often have pedestrian crossings at junctions to allow pedestrians to cross safely. However, sometraders do park within the zig-zags and use the excuse they are delivering/dropping off. This is no defence as it is considered illegal unless you are on active duty as a member of the emergency services.

Sponsored Links
Birkee wrote:......As I read it, it's not illegal to park on a dropped curb to someones drive, UNLESS.....you prevent the house owner exiting. It isn't illegal if you stop them getting on their drive.
Mind you....it ought to be

Yes it is in Liverpool. Someone parked across my driveway on bonfire night to go and watch the display in the local park whilst my wife was out. I contacted the police, (not by dialling 999 I may add), to ask them on the legalities. As they had a car patrolling the area they asked him to pop over and have a look. After explaining the situation he declared it was a case of obstruction and issued a fixed penalty notice to that effect.

Micky wrote:.....I've never seen a pedestrian crossing across 3 lanes (ie a motorway), I think as you live in a different part of the country to me, your perception might be different to mine. What I understand a pedestrian crossing is on an "A" rated road, with 2 lanes.

Micky, any major conurbation will have a number of A class roads with 3 lanes running in the same direction. They are usually found on 'Ring' roads directing traffic around the periphery of a town/city rather than through it and will often have pedestrian crossings at junctions to allow pedestrians to cross safely. However, sometraders do park within the zig-zags and use the excuse they are delivering/dropping off. This is no defence as it is considered illegal unless you are on active duty as a member of the emergency services.

I partly agree, but don't understant the bold? If a member of the emergency services was attending an incident on the zigzags, then that would be OK, as the road would be closed, but to park on them while not attending an emergency, is illegal. At the end of the day, it's called the Queens Highway, you have to have a license to drive on a road, and only because you are a citizen of the Queen. Nobody has a right to drive on any road, and the Queen might refund that right at any stage. Fact is; nobody allowed to park illegally. Emergency services, members of public, doctors. Nobody. If the road is closed, then you are. They aren't painted for fun.

Apologies for the bold. Typing error that I couldn't sort out at the time.
It was not meant to be offensive.

Sponsored Links
Back