Parliament Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've worked out that in order to get my ledged and braced door, that I've made, to fold right back against the wall I need parliament hinges. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
get the smallest throw you can to clear
the greater the throw the more clearance you need on the lock side and leading edge

if you have say a 3" hinge you will need a lot off clearance because the door moves perhaps 5 or 6mm towards the other door before clearing it

Hmmm! Kind of understand your teminology - throw? - leading edge?
I'm not thick, honest. There's only 1 door tho'.

Sponsored Links
take a piece off paper and a piece off string
hold one end on a corner draw a line on the arc

now the same applies to a door but less so as the diagonals are greater so at the point the front off the door reaches the frame its on a diagonal so needs a bit more removed at the "leading edge" to maintain clearance the more you go round the diagonal

the throw is how much the door goes sideways as you open it

your better of extending the door frame and cover the join with door stop, use scotch "T"hinges they are more apropriate for that style of door as it spreads purchace on the hinges across more than just one plank at the edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back