Parquet on 60's concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any advice on laying parquet block over concrete? It's a 5x10 meter room, concrete floor put down sometime in the 60's, don't know if it has a DPM or not. The concrete needs levelling, I'm guessing latex levelling compound will do it?

I've got a choice of oak parquet battons (300x60x10) or oak blocks (230x70x20), I don't know which would be more stable or it it makes any difference?

I was going to level the concrete, put down a moisture barrier and then glue down the parquet. I've no idea what sort of moisture barrier to use. I've read about some paint on barriers or even asphalt adhesive, but don;t know what's the best approach.

Any advice greatefully received.

Sponsored Links
Normally wood blocks of 300mm needs pinning down also (risk of not fully bonding with adhesive.
Your 20mm thick blocks, are they T&G'd? Another question also: are they pre-finished or unfinished? (if unfinished any slight unleveness can be sanded away once the blocks are down).
Latex = moist = waiting time until all excess moisture is really gone.
Old concrete floor = if you don't have moist problems now (smell damp or something) 9 times out of 10 are fine without the need of a liquid DPM.

More info on preparations and installing methods (tricks of the trade)

Hi, thanks for the reply :D The blocks are not T&G and they are unfinished.

:confused: I dont understand what you mean by pinning down? the subfloor is concrete. but if the big blocks are a problem I'll will use the smaller ones.

Everywhere I read that putting wood onto concrete is a bad idea without a membrane to stop the moisture. I know you say 9 out of 10 is ok, but if it was a problem then its an expensive mistake and I dont want to risk that! I want to get this right first time without any mistakes.

I'm confused becuase I've spoken to some fitters and they say that a moisture barrier is essential for concrete while some have say it is not needed, some say boards have to be glued down and the parquet put on top of them and some say it is a bad idea and the parquet should be put straight onto concrete!

Is it a problem to level the floor and use a paint-on moisture barrier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back