Part P building Regs question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Do the new regs apply to any work that is not completed before Jan 1st?

I have a small extension to wire,but its unlikely that the 2nd fix will be completed before the starting date.

Regards,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
My understanding of Part P(**s) is that any work started before 1st Jan 2005 and completed before March is exempt. I've read this on various web sites. But I can't find it in the Approved document as an exemption.

I'm sure somebody will put me straight.

Hugh

That's pretty much it. Of course, as has been mentioned elsewhere, before they can enforce, they have to catch you... just tell 'em the work was done by a fly-by-night ***** and you've lost the number.

As a spark I can't afford to ignore the implications of Part P, but as a member of the public you may as well just ignore it unless the government actually gets off its collective backside and promotes it. Ignorance may be no excuse, but that's never stopped any party in power!

As a Builder by trade, I follow the building regulations 2000 and their regular updates, and New Years day 2005 is the P-Day as far as electrics are concerned. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've just discovered the 'transitional' arrangements for Part P.

Work commenced prior to Jan 1st (assuming all plans are approved) will be exempt from Part P rules.

There is no mention of a 'completion date'.

Where did you see it had to be completed by March??

JerryD said:
I've just discovered the 'transitional' arrangements for Part P.
Where?

Work commenced prior to Jan 1st (assuming all plans are approved) will be exempt from Part P rules.
What does "commenced" mean? What's the legal definition? If I lift a floorboard and stick the end of a reel of 2.5 down there, does that mean I've commenced a rewire?

Also, given that prior to 01/01/05 there are no statutory requirements concerning domestic electrical installations, what does "assuming all plans are approved" mean? There is no mechanism for "approving" installation plans...

This is all the info I found: (transitional info from page 8, with flow charts on pages 11,12 and 13)

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_030323.pdf

There is a legal definition of "commenced" but it is aimed more at building work rather than just elec re-wires (info on pages 9 and 10)

"assuming all plans are approved" again refers more to building work. In other words if you're just about to build a house or an extension, get it started before Jan 1 and the electrical work will be exempt from Part P.

JerryD

I've just read the posted link and it mentions in Annexe B para B10b about electrical work commenced before 1st Jan must be completed by 1st April to be exempt.

In my 1st post I said March because I wasn't sure about the date hence the comment in my second paragraph.

Regards

Hugh

Driller, thanks for finding that info about the April completion date. I have read that paragraph (B.10 (b)) and to be honest it is not easy to understand. (typical Government gobbldeegook :confused: )

I'm not sure that this refers to what we were talking about, i.e. if a job is started prior to Jan 1 it is exempt from Part P.

If you look at pages 11, 12 and 13 (the flow charts), there is no mention of any completion dates. Surely if there was to be a completion date then this would be indicated on these flow charts as it is important to know? In fact the only mention of April 2005 is that sentence you noticed, nowhere else is any completion date stated.

I'm just going to quote these flow charts when Building Control come to visit. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back