Part P courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give some advice on Part P courses, I am a qualified carpenter/joiner moving into kitchen/bathroom refits. There are a lot of companies offering short, 5 day courses. Is this enough to allow me to cert my own work, surely this isn't all i need, It can't be that easy-can it?

Sponsored Links
I'm not up to date with it now. Best to contact certifying bodies like napit niceic and associated companies, because they probably run their own courses which they prefer to recognise so gaining membership would be more straight forward.

As for 5 days.

If you are above average intelligent have some prior knowledge or experience and can focus on the task in hand, you'll walk it. If not you'll struggle big time. Kitchen fitteres usually find it very difficult and often have to pay for more training or resits.

The best courses would involve continuous assessment such as by test after each module, so you can see how you are doing and realise early on how much homework you need to do to catch up.

Good idea to read electricians guide to the building regs from cover to cover before you start.

They are not rocket science but a good knowledge of Electricians Guide to B Regs and On Site Guide is needed. Most people I know who have failed are timed served sparks who thought they knew it all. Check each of the awarding bodies as although they should all be running to the same standard they do vary as to what they want in terms of qualifications; when you have them and how many of your jobs they want to look at.

Plenty of views on the forums as to which one is best - seems to be pretty universal views on who is worst!

Sponsored Links
They will provide limited scope qualifications so you will be able to do, and notify, a certain sub set of jobs that are directly related to your work.
The defined scope trades (I believe) are gas fitters and kitchen fitters, alarm installers and electric garage door fitters.

The defined scope qualifications wont allow you to carry out more complicated jobs like a consumer unit change..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back