Training/courses/certficates and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to do my own house electrics/kitchen fitting etc.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of what training/courses/certificates etc that I'll need to take so that I can carry on under Part P?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that you are a kitchen fitter and that you also carry out your own electrical work at home or do you mean that you are a DIY'er who does all the work within your own home including electrical work and fitting the kitchen?

If the latter, just notify it to your BCO and pay their fee for inspection and testing... If you are a kitchen fitter by trade and require to be able to self certify compliance with Part P then look here.

Thanks for the advice. Looking at the site I read this..

If you are currently an experienced installer and you undertake a wide range of electrical installation work (for example, you do ‘new builds’ or rewires) you should attend the 4 day training course and then undergo the full scheme (Level A) assessment.

If you are currently an experienced installer and you undertake a limited amount of electrical work associated with non electrical trades (e.g. you install bathrooms or kitchens) you should attend the 4 day training course and then undergo the defined-scope scheme (Level B or C) assessment. Level B is for those who may add an extra circuit and Level C is for those who may alter an existing circuit.

It's all the same course so it suggests to me that, as a kitchen fitter, I'm going to twiddle my thumbs during some of the four days as I'm not going to be tested on it all :eek:

There will be very little of the 4-day course that you will not be required to know as a kitchen fitter. The only bit I can think of will be the section on zones within certain special locations - all the rest you will need to know.

Sponsored Links
londonman said:
It's all the same course so it suggests to me that, as a kitchen fitter, I'm going to twiddle my thumbs during some of the four days as I'm not going to be tested on it all :eek:

You will be tested (Theory) on the whole of the course, and need 100% to pass (don't be daunted though, as its multi-choice, open book and you get a second chance on any you get wrong straight away (within reason, if you get too many wrong first time, they may request you do a resit at a later date).

You will then be assessed on practical work a month or two later after you pass the theory on two jobs that you submit. If you only submit minor work or limited examples then you can only gain level b or c certification and therefore only self certify that type of work.

I recommend that you go for level A from the off if you feel confident/have the experience/can learn quick/prepared to swat up before/during the course. You then have a much wider potential for work and will have gained much greater knowledge in the process.

You could then self certify the whole range of domestic installations and not get caught in limbo over what you can and cant take on.

Good luck !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back