Part P loophole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I strip my kitchen out to a point where it is just a room. Then wire it. Then turn my room into a kitchen.... I'm technically not wiring a kitchen right?

*slap* take that part P

Sponsored Links
I don't think so - you are designing the installation for the purpose of being installed in a kitchen.

If I strip my kitchen out to a point where it is just a room. Then wire it. Then turn my room into a kitchen.... I'm technically not wiring a kitchen right?

*slap* take that part P
Do you mean that you'll add or change a cooker circuit?

How do you intend doing that without notifying your LABC?

And how do you intend doing any of the work legally if you don't meet the requirements of Part P that don't relate to notification?

You are definitely wiring a kitchen and you need to wire it as such. Including Part P compliance and LABC notification. You could say the same about a bathroom - wire it up how you like, then fit the plumbing and fixtures. Not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
You are definitely wiring a kitchen and you need to wire it as such.
4. For the purposes of this Schedule—
“kitchen” means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

So if it doesn't contain those it is not a kitchen.

Including Part P compliance and LABC notification.
You have to comply with Part P whichever room the work is in.

You could say the same about a bathroom - wire it up how you like, then fit the plumbing and fixtures.
4. For the purposes of this Schedule—
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, ....in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

So if it doesn't contain those it is not a special location.

And anyway - you can't wire things up how you like - it has to comply with the Building Regulations.

Not a good idea.
Probably not.

But also probably pointless, for 2 reasons:

1) AFAIK, nobody has ever been prosecuted for just failing to notify.

2) In any future sale purchasers are unlikely to just say "Oh OK - fair enough then" when they've asked for Building Regulations completion certificates and you've explained the technicality you used to avoid notifying.

You could do it all while doing a hand stand, would you then have to do it to part "d" instead ???

I'm technically not wiring a kitchen right?
I've got a way of you avoiding getting done for speeding too.

Drive your car above the speed limit, then, just before you pass a GATSO camera, slip the car into neutral and jump into the back seat. After the car has been flashed, if you're not dead, get back into the front seat and carry on.

When the NIP arrives, declare that nobody, technically (sic.), was driving the car at the time. Then, when you're summoned to court for failing to provide the driver details, explain how you did it. The magistrates will be very impressed at your ingenuity and everyone will want to make you Prime Minister.

So if it doesn't contain those it is not a kitchen.

I'll think you'll find it is. The op said so himself.
If I strip my kitchen out to a point where it is just a room.

And anyway - you can't wire things up how you like - it has to comply with the Building Regulations.

That was my point...
OK - sorry - to me this:
You are definitely wiring a kitchen and you need to wire it as such. Including Part P compliance and LABC notification. You could say the same about a bathroom - wire it up how you like, then fit the plumbing and fixtures. Not a good idea.
read as if you were conflating Part P compliance and notification.

BAS,

The op has clearly stated that he will be turning the room back into a kitchen, which means he will be wiring it as such.

I wasn't conflating Part P compliance and notification - I was merely mentioning them both in the same sentence. Sorry for the confusion.

BAS,

The op has clearly stated that he will be turning the room back into a kitchen, which means he will be wiring it as such.
Which means what?

If at the time he does the work the room is not a kitchen then at the time he does the work it is not notifiable. (Assuming it's not anyway, e.g. new circuits)

What I mean is, if he knows it is a kitchen, he will be wiring it up to suit the appliances etc. that he will be fittting later. Most kitchens will end up being completely stripped whilst the first fix electrics and plumbing are being done. To say that whilst it is empty it is not a kitchen may be technically true. But when you start designing your circuits, you have to take into account what room it is you are creating.

If you want to side-step notification, then you may as well just not tell anyone you are doing any notifiable work. It is just as untruthful as pretending it's not a kitchen you're wiring up.

Oh good, I'll cancel my membership to NAPIT.

I've just been doing a room refit today, its all been stripped out and they have asked for the existing circuits to be re-arranged and some resited.
I didn't listen properly when they said what the room was for but I guess its for a big computer installation.

There are sockets at desk level - obviously for laptops and computer terminals.
There is a 32amp supply with an isolator switch - I assume to power a large computer or air conditioning.
There is a 3A fcu - probably for some sort of extraction fan
There are 2 or three other FCU's going to outlets nearer floor level - printers, shredder perhaps?
There also seem to be some water pipes around the place but I guess the computer is so powerful that it will need water cooling.

So, its just re-arranging existing circuits, yippee, I don't need to notify!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back