Part P & Utility Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An ex-kitchen is about to become a utility room (A new kitchen extension has been built and approved by LABC)

Is this utility room still classed as a kitchen as far as Part P is concerned? Basically all the kitchen facilities remain, sink, washing machine and boiler, only the gas cooker has moved into the new kitchen.

I guess what I'm asking is it the name of the room that comes under Part P, or what's actually in it?

Sponsored Links
A utility room is not classed as a special location under part P, is the new kitchen up and running? Do you class the untility room as a kithen or use it as such?

If you are no longer pre-paring food in there, and no longer have a cooker in there than I can't see that it would count as a kitchen

I believe the approved doc guidence defines a kitchen as having food preparation facilities and a sink (but I can't see a sink alone as defining it as a kitchen) sinks are also found in utility rooms, bedrooms and workshops...

Under PP a Kitchen is a Kitchen (not a special location) as defined by Adam. Your new Utility Room is not a Kitchen

You can carry out all of the normal non-notifiable works in your Utility Room but if you are adding circuits etc the works become notifiable.

Great

Thanks guys, so according to the law using a gas cooker and preparing the food is want constitutes the danger then. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
stem said:
Thanks guys, so according to the law using a gas cooker and preparing the food is want constitutes the danger then. :LOL:
no what causes the danger is kitchen fitters messing arround with electrics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back