Please help with Part P regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my house rewired but as we are renovating the kitchen, there is still some minor electrical work to be completed. I would like to add a socket on a spur from a JB and replace the pendant lights with 240v halogen down lights.

My question regarding Part P regs is due to the layout of our rooms. We have no running water ( sink ) in the kitchen as this is located in a seperate utility room. Does the fact that we have food preparation facilities in the kitchen mean that the room is still subject to the special regs?

I have read in the NIC pocket guide that although there is a sink in the utility room this does not mean it is automatically classed as a hazardous area. :confused:

Could some one please help clarrify this for me :?:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

Sponsored Links
what you worried about Mat Adding a spur and changing some lights? Give us a clue where you are wanting to position your spur if near sink it must me more than 300mm from edge of sink unit sink etc.

Diagram would help

If you do add a spur make it a fused one to be on the safe side (if you weren't thinking of doing it like that anyway). :idea:

It's not like you're doing a major rewire back to the fuse box so if you take your time do it well can't see a problem.

Let me try and clarrify this.

Here is a diagram of the rooms involved showing the location of the new socket. The change to the lights is also in the large room ie not the utility room which has the sink. Although the diagram doesn't show it, there is a door between the 2 rooms.

My concern was not with the technical side of doing the work myself but whether the main room came under the control of Part P regs and I would have to get a registered electrician to do the work.

Cheers for your speedy replies.

2v2wg37.jpg

Sponsored Links
I see what you mean is it a kitchen or isnt it a kitchen. Doesnt look like a living room or dinign room or garage though does it ;)
Im officially sitting on the fence on this one.
Anyone?

RobFurn said:
I see what you mean is it a kitchen or isnt it a kitchen. Doesnt look like a living room or dinign room or garage though does it ;)
Im officially sitting on the fence on this one.
Anyone?

Well I suppose it does look rather like a kitchen. :oops:

I was just hoping I could find some loop hole in the regs to save a bit of cash. What with the rewiring and a new kitchen its been an expensive year so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back