"Kitchen" - more Part P silliness?

It certainly is. And despite any arguments about interpretation, we all seem to agree on the fact that it doesn't really matter anyway, since so long as the work is done safely, the chances of any householder ending up in court even for not notifying something which we all agree would definitely be notifiable are just about nil.

Electrical installations were covered by Scottish Building Standards for years before Part P was thought of.

An installation complying with BS 7671 or an equivalent standard was deemed to comply with Scottish Building Standards.

That's an interesting point, because I remember years ago reading material which suggested that compliance with BS7671 (or just "The Wiring Regs." before they became BS7671) was mandatory under Scottish legislation. It was only when at some point I decided to go in search of the appropriate official regulations that I discovered that there was no such compulsion at all, and that it's really no different than the basic provisions which are now in force in England & Wales, i.e. that compliance with BS7671 is deemed to be compliance with the statutory regulations, but that other methods of compliance are acceptable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back