Part P newbie

But a builder can't legally carry out notifiable work in his own home without submitting a building notice either. It's the same thing.

I wish sparks would stop saying stupid things like, "I've been doing this xx years and now, suddenly I'm not competent! I can't even do a simple job in my own home, etc.."

Your level of competence hasn't changed - you're still as good (or as bad) as you were before 2005. All that's happened is a piece of legislation the industry has lobbied for for years has finally come about. Part P is a godsend to sparks everywhere yet is it the sparks who are benefitting? No, but a lot of perfectly able people are rapidly training to compete on your patch, while you moan about having to buy test equipment.

FFS stop whinging and find something important to worry about.

Sponsored Links
good point, i know of many wineing sparks but if i was qualifed i would be rubbing mine hands together! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I wouldn't say not competent, there just seems to be a large gap between the way industrial/commercial and domestic now relate to the law.

'The Law' is still Reg 16 of EAWR 1989.

(Did you mean 'gap' by the way? A bridge implies convergence.)

Sponsored Links
OK, I meant gap lol.
The good old industrial/commercial sparky was not really though about when part p was introduced, they are treat the same in their own homes as someone with little or no electrical knowledge. In comparison, someone who works for a Corgi gas firm can go to work and do their job, then go home and still quite legally install own boiler.

Spark123 said:
The good old industrial/commercial sparky was not really though about when part p was introduced.

Non sequitur...

It has nothing to do with restricting who can and cannot do the work, except in terms of competency. It has everything to do with the minimum standards required - your Gran could do it if she was competent.

A CORGI installer is still required to comply with all the parts of the building regs that apply and notify accordingly, if/where required.

dingbat said:
It has nothing to do with restricting who can and cannot do the work, except in terms of competency. It has everything to do with the minimum standards required - your Gran could do it if she was competent.

The problem is that some BC don't want to come and have a quick look at the work and a glance down the cert to see if both have been done in a resonably competant way, some do, but others demand you have 2391 etc and then just ask for a cert and accept it without checking anything they see in front of them.... :(

Why should it matter if the person has 2391 or not? they should judge only on whether the work notified is to BS7671 or not (and that does include testing and certing)

Although I agree there is a need for electrics in domestic dwellings needs some sort of legislation, I am still not convinced that how it was done was the best way to do this. In my opinion the whole notifiable/non-notifiable thing is a bit of a farce with as Adam says, different LABCs working to different standards doesn't help. One thing I would liked to have seen is the IEE regs made statutory, that is for all domestic and applicable commercial/industrial work.

From what I understand the only requirement to pass part 'P' for a qualified electrician is the multiple choice Building Regs exam on the last day which costs £100.

A qualified sparks should have already done testing requirements and by fully aware of BS 7671 and the on site guide so it only leaves the last exam to pass.....

One of the 3 qualified sparks who attended the last day when I did the course failed!!!!!

By the way, which is a good reasonably priced multi tester to buy???? :LOL:

Daz66 said:
From what I understand the only requirement to pass part 'P' for a qualified electrician is the multiple choice Building Regs exam on the last day which costs £100.
I don't have a clue what you mean by Part P qualified electrician? Part P is part of the building regs, not a qualification. In order to carry out Part P notifiable work you either need to notify LABC and pay a fee in advance for every job or become a member of a competent person scheme. Each scheme has different requirements for acceptance.
A qualified sparks should have already done testing requirements and by fully aware of BS 7671 and the on site guide so it only leaves the last exam to pass.....

One of the 3 qualified sparks who attended the last day when I did the course failed!!!!!
This depends on what the competent person scheme deem as acceptable for acceptance.
By the way, which is a good reasonably priced multi tester to buy???? :LOL:
Anything by Megger.

Once again the majority fail to grasp the simplicity of Part P.

Part P requires that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations, in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

That's it.

Part P cannot be passed, obtained, acquired...
You can't 'be' Part P, nor can you (despite what NAPIT say) be 'Part P Registered'
You can't take Part P, nor can you be a 'Part P Spark'.

What you, or I, or Joe Bloggs must do is comply with the requirement that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations, in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury." whether we are electricians, jobbing tradesmen, DIY-ers or whatever...

Self certification schemes are a relaxation of the requirement to notify in advance and pay a fee. Membership of a self-cert scheme should be regarded by all except the cowboy as the only professional way to conduct their business.

What did I pay £900 for then???

What are the certificates I recieved for and what where the exams I sat???

Daz66 said:

What did I pay £900 for then???

What are the certificates I recieved for and what where the exams I sat???

You tell us - it must be printed on the certificates!

dingbat is correct - as can be confirmed if you read the revelant documents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back