Part p query

Handyman said:
So how are they getting around the problem, whilst I'm losing business, trying to be honest about these things?
I take this to mean that you are providing electrical installation services for reward. Don't see what else it could mean, as if you weren't there'd be no business for you to lose.

In which case..

Handyman said:
Reply to Ban:
Registering for Certification requires the following:
1 - Attend training course
2 - Buy test equipment
3 - Pay annual fee to who ever the certification body is
4 - Arrange for test equipment to be calibrated annually

1. Possibly.
2. You should already have this. You should not be doing electrical work without the ability to test it.
3. Yup
4. See #2 - you should already be doing this.

I even thought about becoming certified and then offering a test and certification service to other fitters to recoup the cost,
You can't do that - nobody can certify compliance with the Building Regulations for work that they have not done themselves. You could, perhaps, issue an Inspection & Testing EIC, if you are happy to make the declaration on it concerning the BS7671 compliance of work that you have not done, but the work would still need notifying in advance to LABC, their fee would still have to be paid, and they might not accept your certificate anyway.

So how are other kitchen fitters getting away with it? What do they say to their customers? Why don't the "Part P Police" knobble all these guys so that those (like me) who are willing to make the commitment reap the benefit of their investment?
But you aren't willing to make the commitment. You are already not doing the work properly, as you don't test it, and you've said that you can't justify the expense of registration.

So I guess you'll have to work out your own way of getting away with it, and your own words to say to your customers.

Don't forget - Part P was designed to put people who only do small amounts of electrical work out of business, or at least out of the electrical installation business.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I take this to mean that you are providing electrical installation services for reward. Don't see what else it could mean, as if you weren't there'd be no business for you to lose.

What I mean is, if I fit a kitchen of project value, say, £8,000, but it includes changing one socket on an existing circuit, then strictly speaking I cannot do this and I lose the whole contract for the sake of one socket change. Whereas, other fitters would say nothing and just do it. So it's not getting paid for the electrical work specifically.

I see what you mean.

It should still be, and always should have been, done properly though.

I wasn't being overly cynical - Part P was designed to stop you from doing those little bits of electrical work. Now that the scourge of VIR has been mostly eradicated from the housing stock, a large percentage of the electrical work done in people's homes is associated with new kitchens and bathrooms, and the electricians wanted to make sure that they got that work, not kitchen & bathroom fitters and plumbers.

After many years of lobbying, they got their way.

This, BTW, is why Part P makes kitchens "special locations" - a distinction not felt necessary by the writers of the IEE Wiring Regulations. Nothing to do with technical difficulties or risks - everything to do with the fact that so much of the work they wanted to grab is done in kitchens.

For most full-time electricians the financial burden is not as significant; small and OMB businesses are at a disadvantage to the big concerns, but mostly their objections consist of wounded pride.

In your case though, I really don't see what you can do, except bite the bullet and get certified, or break the law. It's a cost overhead that you will have to bear.

All I can suggest is that if adhering to the law, be it by registering, notifying LABC or subbing to an electrician, causes you to lose to the "say nothing" brigade because their costs are lower, and you know that this is the case, start reporting them to LABC.

If they do nothing, try the Local Government Ombudsman, TSO, your MP, the OPDM etc - complain as loudly and widely as possible that people are putting you out of business by breaking the law and that the people responsible for enforcing the law are not doing anything about it.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
how can we tell when the work was done, as long as the cables are in the old colours?

The new colours were available long before Jan 05.........they could be used, too.

As for not testing work you have not installed - what about a PIR?

When I contacted Manchester City Council, they wanted me to arrange an inspection myself, but they would want to inspect too, just to ensure that the electrical installation did not breach any other building regs. Cost?

150 sovs, not including the inspection by a third party.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back