part p?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watch out for april I think it's going like CORGI gas where no work to be carried out by unqualified persons.

Sponsored Links
cozzmic said:
Watch out for april I think it's going like CORGI gas where no work to be carried out by unqualified persons.

try searching the forum for part P. it also started jan 2005

1) some other late breaking news you may have missed:

The Queen Mother has died.
George W Bush won the US Presidential election, but we're hoping he won't win again in 2004.
There is a new common curency in much of Europe, called the Euro.

2) Not sure what you mean by "CORGI gas", as I've only heard of NG, LPG, Propane, Butane etc. It may be that there are some special regulations that apply to CORGI gas, but for all ordinary gas work the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations do not contain any requirements for people to be "qualified" unless they are doing it for reward. You must be "competent", but that's not the same thing.

I think I might know what cozzmic is on about.
The proposal is that only registered electricians can electrical work as per part p at the moment, but to show they are registered they must join the ranks of corgi (for a small fee I would assume & nowt to do with gas) to get the small corgi registration id card with photo.
How do I know this I hear you ask, my cousin works for the company that makes the corgi id cards, when I showed him this thread he confirmed there are plans along that line but couldn't give a time scale.

Sponsored Links
Confusion reigns? As usual. However I believe that if you are an electrician you can get temporary approval through NAPIT as well (NAPIT.org.uk). Of course it all costs money, but at least NAPIT is non-profit rather than CORGI.

comms said:
I think I might know what cozzmic is on about.
The proposal is that only registered electricians can electrical work as per part p at the moment,
That's not what Part P says....

Ban, maybe to sort out PP confusion, you and/or others can post on the sticky the FACTS about PP to stop all the rumours that are flying round.

Added to this could be links to relevant sites etc... This way JP would be in the know about PP. By JP, btw, I refer to Joe Public, not John Piescott.

talking about Part P, reading it I understand that; to work as an electrician you must be qualified and registered, (with some exceptions relating to the type and part of the house you working in).
I'm wondering whether doing the C&G 2391, gives more independence, or still the registration is required. I'm doing now part 2 of 2360, and intend to do 2391 in any case.
Albert

You could be Georg Ohm, Gustav Kirchoff, Michael Farady, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, the Chief Examiner for C&G and the IEE Wiring Regulations committee all rolled into one, and posess every electrical engineering and design and installation qualification known to man, but unless you register with one of the self-certification schemes you are no different to the numbnuts in B&Q asking what a fused spur is.

ban-all-sheds said:
You could be Georg Ohm, Gustav Kirchoff, Michael Farady, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, the Chief Examiner for C&G and the IEE Wiring Regulations committee all rolled into one, and posess every electrical engineering and design and installation qualification known to man....
On 0ne hand I think you forgot few names... :oops: on the other hand even I got the message... :eek:
I would be surprised if you would give a different reply, some people never change
Thanks, Albert

Albert said:
On 0ne hand I think you forgot few names... :oops:
Well - not forgot - just banged in the first few that came to mind.

on the other hand even I got the message... :eek:
Why do you say it like that?

I would be surprised if you would give a different reply, some people never change
Thanks, Albert
Sorry - do you have a problem with my answer? If so, FGS why??

1) I have no problems with you and/or your answers.
2) I read your answers to other people (because I think that you know your stuff), and without reading the name I have a good chance to recognize that it is your reply (no offense).
3) What I said was an observation, not criticism, you can be offended or flattered (as I said no intention to offend).
4) With your reply style you should not be so sensitive, some people will reply the same style for the fun of it...or others offended.

I find your replies a bit sarcastic sometimes.. to me it is better than some boring replies. You could reply: 'All must be registered, no exceptions' it is clear simple but deadly boring.

What you should care for in my reply is: I got the massage and thank,
Albert

Albert said:
2) I read your answers to other people (because I think that you know your stuff), and without reading the name I have a good chance to recognize that it is your reply (no offense).
People's style gives them away. Kai is obviously Millennium Boy. And I'm sure I've seen PartPWizard under another name, but I can't put my finger on it...

3) What I said was an observation, not criticism, you can be offended or flattered (as I said no intention to offend).
I wasn't offended - just alarmed - the way you said "even I got the message" made me worry that you thought I was labouring the point in order to drum it into you.

4) With your reply style you should not be so sensitive, some people will reply the same style for the fun of it...or others offended.
True enough. :oops:

I find your replies a bit sarcastic sometimes.. to me it is better than some boring replies. You could reply: 'All must be registered, no exceptions' it is clear simple but deadly boring.
Yo - my sarcasm was aimed at the daft rules, not you.

To Ban-all-sheds

John prescott will not be a person who know whats Part P is.

your knowledge of Part P will not be as good the person who wrote it(ODPM) Head of Building Regulations you should compare yourself too.

Whoever drafted part P could spell and write grammatically correct English.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back