Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still not quite sure how this works. Can anyone explain what I need to do.

I have rewired a lot of my house approx 60% and relocated a few sockets. Also extended a ring main to get shut of spurs.

When I am done I will be getting a spark to inspect and test and give me a pass certificate when everything is up to spec.

As the spark is giving me a cert do I need to inform BC?

Sponsored Links
Yes and likely you should have already informed LABC and paid fee.
Having said that not all items need LABC involvement.
Bathroom
Kitchen
Outside
and Consumer Unit change
Need you to inform LABC first.
Also new circuits from the consumer unit but not a new circuit from for example a ring main with a FCU.
The completion certificate from LABC is just to say they have checked it all over and are satisfied and is completely different to the "Installation Certificate" which you must fill in as you complete and test each section.

The "Periodic Inspection Report" which the electrician checking your work will fill out is similar to the "Installation Certificate" which you must fill out and one you hope you could copy most of the details from one to the other but the electrician can't issue an "Installation Certificate" unless he has been in control.

The IET on their web site allow free download of "Installation Certificate" in PDF format BS 7671:2008 forms (431 k) Updated March 2008 and there are versions with three signatures so you can sign for design and installation and an electrician can sign for inspection and testing but he will need to visit at various stages and you would have needed to have arranged before you started.

nope you should have informed them before you rewired your kitchen..

you won't get an honest sparky to sign off and notify it for you now ( mind you your mate is dodgy enough.. he still owes me a days wages.. )

you don't need to do anything if you're not planning to sell your house anytime soon, just don't lie when yo do come to sell it, tell them that you did some electrics but didn't tell the LABC..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back