PART .P. ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you help me please, i am a gas installer not had time to read up on the reg,s but where do i stand with this new reg can i put bonding on a system? 2. can i rewire a pump,3 way valve etc.... can i fault diagnose using a multimeter thanks for the replies..........................

Sponsored Links
Short answer is yes and no. You only need part P if you are installing a new appliance or a new system but you can do anything to repair an existing installation so long as it is after the fused spur.

Not too sure about the earth bonding thing though cos I would class that as a sparkies job anyway. I suggest you ring corgi about that one or await a reply from a more erudite forum member

I paid my Corgi subs the other day and got so scared of the scary form that I ended phoning up, and it was all sorted out in 5 minutes after a 25 minute wait! I quizzed the person I talked to on the same matter.

Furthermore due to the fact that I only do about a dozen new installs a year I am not going to bother with part p registration. The £200 competency fee is an annually renewable item as is the £175 registration fee on top of the £185 Corgi renewal so for me it is worth doing the 16th edition IEE course or whatever it is that sparkies do then I can do electrical as well as gas inspections and not get ripped off for 200 quid a year.

It's maddening to me that I can get my head into the intricate workings of some PCB's re-soldering dry joints and renewing relays etc in the search of a solution to a boiler problem, yet connecting a bit of flex to a pre-existing fused spur; which to me is almost as simple as putting a plug on an iron commands a £375 a year rip off fee!!!

Sponsored Links
cheeky-smiley-004.gif
cheeky-smiley-004.gif
cheeky-smiley-004.gif

Had my CORGI inspection on April fools day, so the inspector may have been fibbing. But you dont need part P if your installing a new boiler or nes installation. The defining line appears to be if you are installing in a kitchen or bathroom and adding a new circuit then you need to be registered. If you are installing in a kitchen or bathroom and coonecting to an existing socket eg old immersion heater. As long as your only changing the cover eg from a switch to fused spur, then your ok. If there isnt a existing place to connect to then if you take the boiler flex out of the said room and connect it to a fused spur/socket outiside the room the your ok also.
Hope that makes sense lol :LOL:

fronnie_5, there are a couple of grammar errors in your post which make things a little unclear, but I expect people find some of my posts have the same points.

A sparky friend gave me the same feeling after his inspection. I asked OFTEC, and suggested if we put the system wiring in and connected it to the mains using a plug in an existing socket, then we didn't need Part P. Oh, no they said, it's fixed wiring so you do need Part P. Then a whinging voice came from behind (a sparky apparently) asking how I was going to test whether the circuit I was plugging into was safe. Why should I be responsible for the socket wiring. Is the manufacturer of an iron responsible for testing sockets into which their irons will be plugged?

Well with this sort of codswallop going around, the confusion will continue. The problem is CORGI and OFTEC are running a scheme for which they get paid. They therefore have a vested interest, and so their answers are biased if they say you have to have Part P.

Apparently the government lawyers cannot decide what is defined by "maintenance". So this is a problem to start with. I think I will email the ODPM's office and ask a question. This Part P is a money spinner (which was probably its only intention anyway).

If manufacturers instructions say 'fixed wiring only' I take that to mean 'wired from a fused spur' NOT using a 13A plug into an existing socket.

IMHO, using 13A plugs to connect boilers is a VERY BAD IDEA INDEED.

For a start, a general principle of heating system wiring is that there is exactly ONE live supply powering everything. That way, if you turn it off you can be confident that when you start working on the boiler you won't still find mains voltage coming from the programmer, thermostat, or wherever. So, my practice is to connect a live feed from a fused spur to a wiring centre and connect everything to that following the recommendations of that Nice Mr Honeywell. I suppose there's no reason in principle why you should not put a plug on a flex coming from the wiring centre but maybe Mr Honeywell also says 'fixed wiring only' somewhere?

Generally, Part P seems to ignore the unfortunate fact that heating system wiring is complicated and frequently done incorrectly. It's all very well saying that 'Part P will improve safety' but if it's shown to be completely ineffective because most of the accidents occur on APPLIANCES and (dare I say it) from exposed metal parts of heating systems, that's not much benefit for an enormous cost!

CC as I see it it makes no difference whether a heating system is connected to a spur or a plug. Obviously the whole system should be supplied at the one place, whichever.
In fact I prefer a plug. At least if you take the thing out you don't have to wonder about dodgy wiring of the spur/circuit! As with a spur though, it's worth putting the fuse in your pocket before someone "helps".

CC, I wasn't suggesting the boiler should be connected using a plug and socket, which is why I said system wiring. However, if the boiler is connected using a dedicated plug and socket, then unplugging it will mean no live will be coming from somewhere else. It will be a strange wiring setup, and will have problems. BUT, I have found problems where a permanent live is connected to the boiler for frost stat and control purposes, and no plug and socket involved.

This is not necessarily a problem to me as I do only oil boilers, and I can stop these by disconnecting the burner.

to put it in laymans terms if your wiring a boiler outside of a bathroom and kitchen no probs,apparently. if in bathroom or kitchen then,if possible, take the cable from boiler outside room to a fused spur then no problem. if connecting to existing circuit in airing cupboard ie using old immersion heater then no prob.

As a non-corgi plumber can I ask about whether or not the regulations stop me from wiring up an replacement electric shower (for example the old one snuffs it and I plumb a replacement). Obviously I follow all relevant principles and practises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back