Partial burial of radiator pipes - thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to have the living room redecorated including walls plastered, and thought I’d take the opportunity to do something about the radiator pipes that run horizontally just above the skirting along the living room wall.

Ideally I’d like to bury them in the wall, but am very nervous about cutting such a deep horizontal channel into the wall as it would need to be at least 20-22mm to allow for the pipes, the pipe clips and the insulation.

I’ve seen websites that sell thicker skirting with a rebate cut out the back so that the skirting just hides the pipes, but the skirting then starts to get pretty “thick” in order to hide the pipes and be strong enough to offer some protection. Those things work, but for me it kind of looks obvious that they are hiding something, and also looks obviously thicker than the skirting on other walls.

This got me thinking about maybe cutting a shallower horizontal channel into the wall of say 12mm, so that the pipes aren’t really sticking out of the wall too much (maybe 10mm or so), which should mean that I could get away with “standard” depth skirting with a rebate cut into it.

In my mind it seems like a good idea, but interested to hear from anyone else who has attempted something similar, or from anyone who thinks it’s a terrible idea for reasons XYZ.

just an FYI, it’s a concrete floor with damp proof coating so I definitely don’t want to be cutting the floor up.

Good idea or terrible idea?

Sponsored Links
You could google 'skirting trunking'. This may give you some ideas. I've used similar quite a lot (for wiring).

In both my house and my girlfriend's flat I have fitted lengths of 34x34mm (nominal) PAR or PSE above offending pipework or cabling, then fitted new skirting onto that. (Hers is a local authority rental, in which messing with piping or electrical trunking, of which there is quite a lot, is not allowed. I have no such constraints but have a long damp-proofing guarantee which would be invalidated by cutting into the re-plastered areas). Of course it's obvious, but I personally think it looks better with the flat top than unusually thick skirting with a rebate cut into the back. See pic. Yes, I know it needs re-caulking and tidying up.

And if anyone can tell me the practical difference between PAR and PSE, I'm all ears...

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_161043.jpg
    IMG_20230924_161043.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back